II

🎶jaag jaaye na tu, jaagu raaton mainjhoole jhoola tu, mere haathon meinteri chumu aankhein main, baith sirhanesaari raat ye pehra karekeh doon chaand taaron ko

🎶jaag jaaye na tu,
jaagu raaton main
jhoole jhoola tu,
mere haathon mein
teri chumu aankhein main,
baith sirhane
saari raat ye pehra kare
keh doon chaand taaron ko.. 🎶

◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽

It had been more than a year since Janhvi and Neeraj had brought their daughter back to India from London. She joined the KaMa group as a marketing manager. She didn't want any favors from the Oberois as they were relatives (Janhvi was the younger sister of Nandita), but Tejas Oberoi assured Kiara that she had enough qualification to work at the company. So she agreed.

Kiara had always been a very extroverted kind of person, always making new friends wherever she went. She was the kind of person that could brighten up the room just by being in it. But since the incident, it was like she had lost herself along with Namit.

She had become so silent that sometimes you won't even notice she is in the room. She had started to lead a very simple life, that included eating, sleeping and going to the office. She had stopped making new friends and talking to old ones.

Janhvi and Neeraj thought that with time, she'd get better but even after a year, she was still the same. They were starting to get worried about their daughter.

"Kia, Mayera gave birth today. It is a girl." Janhvi informed her as soon as she got off the phone with Nandita.

Kiara, who was reading a book, looked up and gave her mother a formal smile. "I will call Mayera today to congratulate her."

Janhvi sighed. "No, you will not call her. Pack your bags. We're going to Delhi tomorrow morning. Congratulate her then."

"What? No. I am not going." Kiara didn't want to go anywhere.

"And may I know the reason?" Janhvi was tired of her staying in the house always.

"I have a lot of work."

"I am sure Kabir won't mind you taking a few days off. I am not listening to any excuses. Your cousin has become a mother today. You should be there for her in her most beautiful phase of life. Don't you think she'd be there for you if you had given birth?" Janhvi blurted out the last part, but immediately realised her mistake.

Since Namit had gone, everyone had tried not to talk about anything that might remind Kiara of him. That included topics like marriage and kids.

Kiara had always been crazy about getting married and having a family of her own. But after Namit, she doesn't think she'd ever have any of it. She can't even think of giving Namit's place to anyone else.

Even though the thought of having kids made her uncomfortable, she ignored that and focused on what her mother was trying to make her understand. In the past one year, she had not even once tried to talk to Mayera. It was always Mayera making an effort. She knew what she was doing with her family was wrong. It wasn't their fault that Namit was gone. So why was she punishing them?

She had not been there for Mayera her entire pregnancy, but she decided that she'll be for her now and always. So she packed her bags and with her parents, left for Delhi the next day.

And after a long time, she had felt a little happiness in her heart. Happiness to meet her cousin, and her newborn niece.

Little did she know that she'd be meeting someone else too.

_______________

From the airport, they went directly to the hospital. Getting the room number from the reception, they made their way towards it. Outside the room, they came across Mayera's parents and her in-laws.
Janhvi and Neeraj stopped to talk to them, while Kiara went ahead and knocked on her door.

"Come in," Came a faint voice from inside.

She pushed the door open and walked in, only to come across a beautiful scene. Mayera was half-lying on the bed, with her daughter in her arms, while Arjun was sitting in front of her admiring his girls.

Mayera looked up and was shocked to see her cousin-cum-best-friend. Suddenly Kiara felt nervous. What if she was angry at her for not talking in so long?

"I, umm," Kiara didn't know what to say.

Arjun was looking at both the women inquisitively.

"I know I haven't been a good best friend or cousin in the past year. And I want to apologize for that." Kiara managed to say.

Mayera gave her daughter to Arjun and gestured Kiara to come closer. She obliged. As soon as Kiara was at a hand's distance from Mayera, she pulled her best friend close and took her in a bone-crushing hug.

"You've no idea how much I've missed you." Mayera whispered into the hug.

Kiara's eyes filled with tears. "I've missed you too."

They pulled back but Kiara didn't stop talking. "I am sorry I wasn't there when you needed me."

"Shh, it isn't your fault. I understand what you were going through. But promise me, you'll never shut me out again."

"I promise."

Mayera then took the baby from her husband and put her in Kiara's hands.

"And this is your niece, Navya. And Navu, this is your Kia Maa." A sob left Kiara's mouth when Navya raised her hand and touched her cheek.

"She is so cute." Kiara couldn't help but gush over her.

"I know. Aakhir beti kiski hai." Arjun tried to lighten the mood by joking around.

Mayera hit him lightly on the chest. "9 mahine mai paalu, delivery ka saara dard mai sahu ar end mai yeh aakar kahenge aakhir beti kiski hai." She mimicked the last part like Arjun.

Kiara laughed out loud at the couples banter.

"Kiara, tum batao. Don't you think that our princess looks just like me?" Arjun asked her.

"Kia, tell him that my daughter has gotten her looks from her mom." Mayera folded her arms in annoyance.

Kiara looked at both of them and said,"I think Navya has more of jiju's traits."

A shocked expression took over Mayera's face, while Arjun and Kiara high-fived.

"Dhokebaaz!" Mayera huffed while the jija-saali laughed at her.

Mayera was pretending to be irritated and angry, but actually, she was happy to see her cousin laughing. She knew the past year had been very tough for her and she just wanted happiness for her.

🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹

Isn't Navya just adorable? I really wanted Kiara and Navu to bond from the very first day.