In My Own Words

⚠️Trigger Warning ⚠️

12am Brooklyn, New York

Ryder K.

Twelve hours

That's how long I'd been here. In this torn down Brooklyn brownstone, on a worn couch littered with cobwebs and dust. Wallowing in self-pity and utter embarrassment.

I would've booked a plane ticket out of the country but unfortunately I left all of my belongings included my phone and wallet at the television station. Can't even fucking run away right. Had to pay the taxi driver with my $50,000 Tiffany diamond earrings.

Good thing they were my mother's.

Suddenly somebody started fiddling with the front door. Considering I was in Bed Stuy, whoever this was could either be a drug dear, drug user, homeless person or a murderer. All I knew was that whoever it was, was about to get there head bashed in. I grabbed a plank of wood that was propped up against the wall and held it up like a baseball bat.

Soon the door popped open with the footsteps of the intruder following soon after. I then took my stance ready to knock their heads off the moment they entered the room I was in.

"Ry! Please tell me you in here!?" The familiar voice said as their tone was laced with worry.

"Reeves I'm in here!" I cried out.

The footsteps quickened before his moon lit body appeared in the threshold. "Thank god!" Reeves immediately sighed in relief. Tears leaked from my eyes as I dropped the plank, just before my baby brother engulfed me in his arms. Holding on to him tight, I completely unraveled.

**********

An hour later we were in one of the best steakhouses in New York, Mastro's Steakhouse. I had completely lost my appetite with everything that happened today but Reeves forced me to eat something, so I ordered a salad with a glass of wine.

"So how does a person manage to get Mastro's to still be open at one in the morning?" I asked amusingly.

He smirked. "Sis I'm Reeves Fucking Kennedy! I can take food from a lion if I wanted to....but luckily for them and my safety I don't want to!" He joked and for the first I laughed a genuine laugh since the moment I left the television station.

Our laughter died down and the awkward silence returned.

"I'm so sorry about today Ry! I swear to you that I am." Reeves explained taking the blame and I immediately shook my head. "It wasn't your fault baby brother."

"Yeah! But I could've kept it from happening. I'm your manager for crying out loud, damn that your fucking I'm your brother before anything else and I knew letting you go on that evil ass bitches show was a fucking horrible idea." He protested.