ch. 21

Chapter Twenty One;;- Summer Break Training Camp

"They're noisy..," [name] murmured under her breath as she listened to the noise emanating from the classroom. From the words she could make out, she figured that the class was stressing about whether they passed and get to go to the training camp or not. Of course, she knew that they would all be going weather they passed or not, but [name] still felt a little bad for the people who thought they weren't going.

Aizawa came up next to her, coming to a stop right in front of the door. He had a stack of papers under one arm. He hummed in agreement, nodding. "Are you ready to tell them?"

[name] cocked her head in confusion. "Me? Why?"

He shrugged. "I think we've already cemented your role as the bearer of good news."

"Well... Okay then," She barely managed to mumble before the bell rang.

Aizawa slammed the door open, effectively shutting off all conversation between the students (and making [name] jump). "That's the bell. Be seated." They entered the room as the students who weren't in their seats scrambled to them.

"Morning," [name] greeted softly. "First thing's first, about your final exams. We had some failures, unfortunately..." She looked over the faces of the five who had failed (Kaminari, Sato, Ashido, Kirishima, and Sero), smiling sympathetically. "But you're all going to the summer training camp."

Aizawa set his papers down on the podium. "Everyone cleared the written tests. In the practical, five of you failed-- Kirishima, Kaminari, Ashido, Sato, and Sero." The class talked among themselves for a moment and he waited for them to quiet down before he continued. "As the villians in this test, we teachers came up with assignments perfectly suited to all of you. Ones that would give you chances to devise winning strategies. If we hadn't, none of you would've stood a chance.

Ojiro raised his hand. "So when you said you were really going to crush us..."

"That was to push you. We are talking about training camp after all." He glanced over the at the five who failed again, making sure to catch each of their individual gazes. "More than anyone else, those who failed are in dire need of this." He grinned. "This was another rational deception."

[name] smiled to herself as she listened to Iida ask something about their faith being shaken and Aizawa break the news about the supplementary lessons. It was amazing how much people could grow on you in the course of one semester.

She picked up the stack of papers, the packing list, and handed it to Iida, instructing him to make sure everyone got one. Once she was sure he had it handled, [name] and Aizawa left the room.

[name] couldn't help but pause by the door for a moment once she had closed it, listening to them chatter excitedly. She had been so unsure about taking the job when she first did. When did that feeling change? When did she feel so.. fulfilled when seeing and hearing them happy?

"Everything alright?" Aizawa asked when he noticed her lack of movement.

Swallowing thickly, [name] blinked herself out of her thoughts. "Umm... Yeah." She rubbed her eyes, travelling her hands upward to run her fingers through her hair.

He quirked an eyebrow, not quite believing her, but nodded anyway.

. . .

Because of the villain situation in the mall with Midoriya, there was a sudden change of plans. Which, of course, meant plenty of extra work for the teachers. All in all, it worked out okay and since nothing bad happened, school finished up without any more problems and transitioned into summer break.