ch. 18

Chapter Eighteen;;- Final Exam: Start!

It took an admittedly long time for the teachers to get the students all situated in their costumes and grouped up in a relatively neat cluster. The initial plan was to make a line, but it didn't work out well so they ended up trying two lines but then they moved and... [name] swore these kids could have been kindergartners. why couldn't they just.. stand still?

"Let's begin the practical exam," Aizawa started from his place in the middle of the line of teachers (which was much nicer looking than the students'). "It is, of course, possible to fail this exam. If you want to attend the training camp, then don't mess this up."

Jirou ran her eyes over the line. "There sure are a lot of teachers here," she commented as Hagakure counted each of them next to her.

Aizawa didn't comment and instead continued with his speech. "Knowing you guys, you probably asked around and you might think you have a vague idea of how this'll go."

"It's a robot rumble, like the entrance exam!" Kaminari exclaimed. Ashido pumped her fists beside him, excitement clearly coursing through her as she thought of how easily she would pass.

"Not quite!!" Nedzu popped out from Aizawa's scarves.

Was he in there the whole time? When did he crawl in? Aizawa just let him do that? [name] wondered, glancing over at the principal with raised eyebrows. She caught Aizawa's eye and although he didn't look pleased, he didn't look necessarily upset either.

Nedzu continued despite the student's obvious confusion. "Various circumstances have demanded a revision to the exam format! As such, you students will be pairing up and fighting on of the teachers you see here!" He crawled down from Aizawa's scarf. Hearing the students' questions, he explained, "From now on, we'll focus on battles against flesh-and-blood opponents. It is critical that our teaching simulates practical experience as closely as possible."

"Your pairings and assigned teacher have already been decided. Your battle moves, your grades, your friendships with one another..," They could see the class' eyes running over the line of teachers, already hoping for a specific teacher. "All these factors and more were considered, so without further ado..."

Aizawa shifted his scarf around his neck from where Nedzu had probably messed it up. "First, Todoroki is with Yaoyorozu against me." He continued to list out the pairs until everyone had sort of gravitated towards their partner. The list was:

Yaoyorozu+Todoroki VS Eraserhead
Bakugou+Midoriya VS All Might
Ashido+Kaminari VS Nedzu
Aoyama+Uraraka VS Thirteen
Koda+Jiro VS Present Mic
Asui+Tokoyami VS Ectoplasm
Sero+Mineta VS Midnight
Hagakure+Shoji VS Snipe
Sato+Kirishima VS Cementoss
Iida+Ojiro VS Pathogen

"Ten stages have been prepared and all teams will begin simultaneously. The test guidelines will be explained by your respective opponents. None of the areas are outside the school grounds, but let's not waste any more time. Get going." This part of Aizawa's speech was definitely more robotic. It sounded less from off the top of his head like Aizawa usually did and more rehearsed. It was probably what Nedzu told him he had to say.

[name] approached Iida and Ojiro, smiling. "Hey guys, we'll be taking a bus to our battle location." She met eyes with Iida the best she could through his hero costume. "Don't worry this time, Class Pres, there shouldn't be a need to line up." Her grin turned more to the teasing side as she sent him a playful wink.

She took them both to the bus, ignoring Iida's obvious embarrassment about the last time she had seen him board a bus. [name] sat on one of the center-facing seats, both Ojiro and Iida choosing to sit across from her.

"If you don't mind, [surname]-sensei, aren't you supposed to be explaining the rest of the test guidelines?" Iida immediately asked once the bus started moving.

[name] raised an eyebrow. "I thought you guys might want a chance to relax first. Shake off your nerves or whatever. Most of the teachers will be explaining the guidelines in front of the battleground for timing reasons." She was doing her absolute best to remain completely casual so that neither of them would get more nervous than they already were.

Ojiro smiled, but it was shaky. "Honestly, I think I'm more nervous not knowing much else about the exam except for how we have to fight one of the top fifty pro heroes..."

"Sure, if you want me to explain now, then I will." [name] waited for both of them to give their affirmation before continuing. "You'll have thirty minutes. The battlegrounds where we will fight is a faux construction site, like the one from the entrance exam. In order to pass," she paused to take out a pair of handcuffs from her pants pocket, "you need to either get these handcuffs on me or have one of you escape."

"We can just run away?" Iida asked skeptically.

[name] nodded. "Yeah. This isn't anything like your past battle training because your opponent is much stronger than you." She paused, biting her lip at how cocky that sounded. Still, she knew that the students probably believed it, so she moved on. "The test is meant to simulate true battle as closely as we can, so you're supposed to be thinking of us as actual villains. If we were to meet in battle, you could fight and win but also.. If you find yourself facing someone too strong for you, it can also be a wise decision to flee and find help instead of risking your own life." She glanced at Iida, wanting to add something in about Stain, but held her tongue.

"Ah!" Iida held his hand to his chest confidently. "So part of this test is our decision making!"

She gave him a thumbs up. "That's right! But right you're probably thinking that running is the only option, right?" [name] reached into her pockets again and pulled out four cuffs. "We had the support department make these ultra compressed weights specifically for this to give you a better fighting chance." She held one out to each of the boys so they could take it and turn it over in their hands.

"It's heavy..," Ojiro commented, weighing it in his hands.

"All together, the four of them are half of my body weight. It'll sap my stamina and make my movements slower." She saw them exchange silent eye contact, as if trying to speak without speaking. "Don't worry, you'll get a chance to strategize without me being here." She grinned. "Now that you know what's going on, wanna play I spy?"

a/n: obviously this chapter was mostly a bunch of recap but the reader's personality has been shifting lately so i thought it was a good opportunity for interaction with some characters and stuff