Chapter 35

Noah felt the air leave his lungs when he saw her there. He was frozen, and Megan took that opportunity to close the distance between her and Addison and close her arms around her.

Addison rocked in the bed with the brunt of force from Megan's body.

Megan was crying.

Addison reached up to put a hand on Megan's back and her touch snapped Megan out of her moment.

She recoiled and wiped her eyes, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that." She cleared her throat to dispel the grogginess that comes with crying. "I'm just so thankful you're okay. But I'll leave."

"Wait." Addison said before Megan could walk away. Megan half-turned back towards Addison.

"Thank you." She said, she remembered Megan running to help her before her head hit the ground. And judging by the fact that Noah was here and still frozen at the door, Addison could only assume Megan drove him.

Addison squeezed Megan's arm reassuringly and let go. Megan nodded and walked out. She knew she wasn't truly welcome there. She didn't know what had come over her when she hugged Addison. She had done something horrible to Addison, but the sight of Addison in the hospital bed scared her. She had already lost her best friend, she didn't want to lose her again.

Megan closed the door behind her. 

Addison turned her gaze to Noah who was still staring at her across the room.

She held up her hand towards him, "Noah."

He immediately sprung forward, clasping her hand in both of his, bringing it to his lips. Her hands were bandaged from her wounds, and she saw his tears discolor the fabric.

She turned her hand so that she cupped his cheek, his hand still covering hers.

"Why are you crying?" She smiled at him.

He shook his head, "I-I-" he was at a loss for words.

He reached forward and gently pulled her to him, one hand twisting in her hair and the other clutching her back, holding her close.

She buried her face in his neck. Chills spread through his body as he felt her breath there. She closed her arms around his torso.

"I'm so sorry." He finally breathed. 

She pulled back only enough to look up into his eyes.

"Why are you apologizing?"

He wouldn't meet her gaze. "I shouldn't have let you crawl in the glass, I should've made sure you were okay instead of confronting James."

She moved her hands up and rested them on his shoulders. "Noah, you have no reason to apologize. Please don't blame yourself. I'm the one who cut myself and didn't even realize it."

He shook his head. "The doctor said you passed out because of the blood loss and stress, I shouldn't have added to that stress by punching him. I know you don't like confrontation."

Addison snorted, "I kind of liked that confrontation."

Her laugh calmed him. "You're not mad at me?" He sounded dejected.

"Of course not." Her hands slid up to hold his face, pulling him to kiss her.

Noah's kiss was soft like he was afraid to break her. He pulled away after a moment, grabbing the chair behind him and bringing it to the edge of the bed.

He sat down but kept a loose grip on Addison's bandaged hand.

He examined her hand, covered by gauze.

"Does it hurt?" He whispered.

"No, they have me on some pain meds so I don't feel any pain right now."

He nodded. "How about your other injuries, your legs?"

She shrugged. "They're cut up but they said I shouldn't scar. But I'm going to be bathing in lotion to make sure that doesn't happen." She said chuckling.

Noah didn't laugh with her. 

"Noah," his eyes rose to hers, "What's wrong? I'm okay, everything is okay."

He nodded and tried to give her a small smile.

"I know, but it scared me."

Addison nodded, "I'm sure it was not a pretty sight with all that blood."

Noah shook his head. "No. I wasn't scared because I'm afraid of blood, I was scared because I thought I was losing you and that's the scariest thing I can think of."

Addison's heart warmed, the thought of losing Noah scared her too, and that's because she loved him. But she wasn't sure if he felt as strongly.

"I'm here." She whispered to him. She didn't understand why he was still acting this way.

"I know." He breathed a sigh of relief. He finally smiled at her and stood to kiss her again. "I should probably change my clothes." He gestured towards himself, dried blood staining his outfit.

Addison nodded, "Perfect timing because I'm so tired."

"I'll go home and come right back." He promised her.

"See you when you get back." She smiled up at him. 

Noah was about to turn away, but something stopped him.

He didn't want to hide how he felt anymore. It hadn't been long since he realized he was in love with her, but he wasn't afraid of saying it. If she didn't say it back, he'd be okay. 

"Addison." She looked up at him again. He curled his hand around the nape of her neck and pulled her to him and kissed her deeply. Butterflies erupted in her belly. His kiss was loving and slow. When he pulled away he traced her cheek with his thumb. "I was so afraid of losing you because I'm in love with you Addison. I think I probably always have been."

A smile broke out on Addison's face. Her eyes teared up. "I love you too, Noah."

Noah couldn't believe her words, he couldn't believe someone as perfect as her could love him. He'd spent years with Megan and never felt this way for a moment. 

He smiled and kissed her again.