Chapter 21 - Care

Overdose - Chapter 21

-Alex-

"Merry Christmas, everyone!" Sandra cheers as she waltzes into the room carrying cupcakes that are expertly decorated for the occasion. Sandra is the head nurse here. She's a short woman with graying hair that is always tied in two braids. Her eyes resemble the color of coffee beans and she smells of fresh Jasmine. My first night here, I woke up drenched in sweat from a nightmare and she came into my room. She offered me water and promised that I was safe. She's kind, unlike some of the other people here.

Spending Christmas with a group of strangers might be the highlight of my year. It's only been five days and I'm already over it. Everyone, including myself, looks like an extra in a zombie movie. Detoxing has been a nightmare but not as bad as it was when I was home. I guess being here is helping because every morning, a nurse serves us medication to help with detoxing. At night, we're given medication to help us sleep.

My dad is supposed to visit today and that is the only thing I have to look forward to. I miss him.

"Hey, I brought you a cupcake," Katie walks over and takes a seat next to me. She checked in the same day as me and so far, has been very persistent about getting me to hold a conversation. I have nothing against her but there's nothing for us to talk about. She has short black hair and gray eyes, and I believe she said she was twenty-one during our introduction. Unlike all the others, she's a ray of sunshine; always smiling and trying her best to not look like she's struggling.

Yesterday, I saw her sifting through the kitchen drawers. I'm not sure what she was looking for but the moment I walked in, she straightened herself and left hurriedly. She's addicted to Percocet because when she was twelve, her mom gave her a pill after she complained that she had a migraine. She's been hooked since then and after her mother passed away from cancer last year, it only got worse.

I peel my eyes away from the window and look down at her hands. She holds out the hand holding the red cupcake with green sprinkles. She motions for me to grab it and I do. "Thanks, I'm not hungry," I say, placing it on the windowsill. "You don't have to be hungry, it's a cupcake..." She chuckles softly. I nod before turning my attention to the snow which has now covered the grass and nicely shaped bushes in the courtyard.

"Some of us are going to have our own Christmas celebration tonight on the roof, want to join?" She asks in a whispered tone.

"The roof? How-"

"Apparently, Marcus has been here three times and he knows the layout of this place like the back of his hand," she says, looking towards the guy with curly black hair and bronze skin. Three times? How many times does one go to rehab before realizing it's not working? More than three apparently. Like me, Markus didn't go on a spiel about himself during our introduction. He simply said that he was addicted to Oxy and that he was trying to be better for his younger siblings.

"Isn't the whole point of rehab to stay sober?" I ask looking back at her. Her eyes widen and she shakes her head, "Unfortunately, there won't be any alcohol or drugs, Marcus said that from the roof, the skyline of downtown is perfectly framed. All the buildings can be seen, and the lake just adds to the wow factor..." She intones whimsically.

I nod slowly. "Anyway, it'll be before sunset. I'll stop by your room and we'll walk together. Bring a coat," she says quickly before getting up and walking over to where Marcus and a few other people are gathered. During our group meeting yesterday, the counselor advised that it might be a good idea to get to know one another. She said that the recovery process is less of a burden if we connect with people that are going through the same thing.

Although it sounds like a good idea, I don't have the energy or motivation to make friends. Maybe it's the detox or the depression speaking but friendship is the very last thing on my mind.