Chapter 17 - Case

Overdose - Chapter 17

-Alex-

I've been home for a week and four days. Things have changed. Starting with the fact that my mom is still in town. She's staying at a hotel nearby, and we aren't exactly sure why she's still here. I don't mind because she had dinner with us twice and it was nice having dinner with both of my parents again. My dad was approved for time off, so he's been home most of the week.

When we got home from the hospital, my dad ran me a bath in his bathroom. He helped me detangle my hair and let me sleep in his bed for the first two nights. He made soup and we watched cartoons all day until my mom came and ordered us off the couch. I decided that it was time to make my bedroom not look like a dungeon. My dad and I painted the walls a starchy white color and for the first time in two years, I allowed the sun to shine through my windows. We rearranged my room so that my bed is no longer in the corner but in the center of the room. My desk is now in front of the window. It is a small change, but I feel more comfortable in my room now.

I haven't taken anything, but every day has been a struggle. I've been waking up drenched in sweat and I'm always cold. My dad bought me a space heater, but the chill doesn't come from the fact that the house is cold. Every so often, I suffer from violent, debilitating shakes. I'm positive the reason I haven't gone straight to Chester is that my dad is home. I thought about leaving in the middle of the night to go to Chester's house for the past few nights, but those thoughts quickly faded when I realized how cold it was and that I don't have money for the bus.

"Alex?" My dad shakes me lightly. I groan tiredly before rolling on my stomach. The couch is never this comfortable when I'm not trying to sleep. "Get up bud, we're meeting your mom for lunch," He shakes me again but this time, harder. "What? Why?" I mumble with my face pressed to the throw pillow. It smells like fabric softener.

"She says she has something to talk to us about... I have no clue what it is," He walks towards the coffee table and grabs the remote. I hear the tv turn off followed by his heavy footsteps towards the entry table. "Think she'll tell us she's staying permanently?" I ask jokingly as I sit up. "Not in a million years, son. She'd hate it here," He chuckles, ruffling my hair. I groan; annoyed that he does this way too many times.

"Go put on something that's not pajama pants and for Christ's sake Alex, brush your hair," He urges. Despite him helping me untangle it last week, I'm pretty sure it's matting in certain places, but I haven't had the energy to lift my arms past my shoulders. Purposely, I drag my feet towards my room. I'm not even hungry, she could tell us whatever she needs over a phone call. Leave it to my mom to be extra with everything she does.

>>>

The car ride to the restaurant was a long half an hour. Of course, she would pick a restaurant downtown because those are the most expensive and unnecessarily posh. I slept for the first fifteen minutes of the ride before I was woken by the sound of a sneeze. Pretty sure it was fake.

When we arrived at the restaurant, a tall guy with a beard guided us to a private room. He motioned us to the only table in the room and we both sat down. My dad was rushing me because he didn't want to keep my mom waiting yet, here we are. The room is brightly lit from the floor-to-ceiling windows looking out at the busy street. Most of the people are dressed in business attire while some are in casual clothes.

"Trying to read these names might give me a stroke," My dad chuckles while holding up the menu. We could have just done this at a burger place but if it's my mom, it's got to be over the top. "Hi, guys! Sorry I'm late, the taxi driver got lost...this place is like a maze!" She rushes towards us. Her hair is perfectly curled, and her makeup looks like it was done by a professional. There isn't a wrinkle in sight on her clothes and her heels look like they could be used as a murder weapon. She looks expensive.

Overdose (BXB) Completed/Editingजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें