Chapter 5 - Hollow

Overdose - Chapter 5

"Here you go, two peppermint hot chocolates," The waitress places two cups in the center of the table. Nico decided to take us downtown to get hot chocolate; the drive was peaceful and scenic. I rarely come downtown, but I can see why people would want to live here. It's different from the suburbs, it feels lively rather than mundane.

"Have you been here before?" I ask pulling my cup towards me. The cup sleeves have little pumpkins all over them. Just about everything in this coffee shop is covered with fall decorations. It's welcoming and warm.

"A few times. I know the owners," He explains before taking a sip of his drink. I nod, "Does that mean these are on the house?" I ask jokingly. He chuckles. He has very long lashes, they create the perfect outline for his hazel eyes. There are faint freckles on his nose that are accompanied by several beauty marks.

I bring the cup to my lips and take a careful sip of the hot chocolate. The warm liquid invades my taste buds pleasantly. The chocolate tastes rich and smooth. Though not needed, the peppermint adds a nice fresh flavor.

"Is it up to your standards?" Nico asks, staring into my eyes. This is strange in so many ways, I don't even know this man and here I am, having hot chocolate with him at three in the afternoon. "It's pretty good but my dad makes it better," I shrug.

He nods, "It's just you and your dad, right?" Why do you care? I stare at him studiously before nodding. "My dad and I don't speak anymore..." He starts before taking another sip.

I sit up in the chair and frown, "How come?"

"He...he was abusive...towards my mom," His voice comes out hard and emotionless. For a moment he looked like he didn't want to answer, and I wouldn't have been offended if he chose to change the subject. He averts his eyes from mine to the woman walking a small white dog outside. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have-"

"It's alright. Anything to get you to stop thinking I'm some creepy stranger out to murder you on the side of the road," He chuckles deeply. Heat rises to my cheeks, and I scoff, "You should focus your time on better things," I suggest as I bring the cup to my lips.

He stares deep into my eyes and slowly brings his cup up to his mouth, "Thought I was doing that already."

The way his words flow out his mouth so smoothly could make melted chocolate jealous. He speaks as if all his thoughts are already prewritten and logged into his brain. He barely stutters or trips over his works, except for the occasional nervous babbling.

"I have a question?" He asks carefully. I most likely don't have an answer. "Okay," I nod as my hands warm up significantly. He clears his throat, "You're eighteen. Why aren't you in school?" He asks quietly. I graduated early. Bullshit.

"I dropped out," I answer, blankly.

He nods, "Why? If you don't mind me asking." I do.

"The food in the cafeteria sucked. I just couldn't take it anymore," I answer trying to sound somewhat believable, but it just comes out sarcastic. He raises his eyebrow and stares at me with uncertainty, "You're insanely complicated to figure out..." He says but it sounds more like he's talking to himself. Stop trying then.

"I don't need to be figured out, Nicholas," I retort feeling slightly aggravated. He snorts, "I don't believe so. I have time." Don't waste it on me.

"Why?" I ask curiously. There has to be a reason why he's trying so hard. I'm no one of importance. Or does he do this to every new person he sees at the meetings?

"Why what?"

"Why do you want to get to know me? As I'm sure you can already tell, I'm an addict..."

"I refuse to believe that who you truly are stops there. What's so wrong about making friends?" He quizzes. Who I am is a body that roams the earth and craves to feel anything but pain. "Nothing. Why make friends with someone who still uses the very thing you fought hard to give up? Seems like a step in the wrong direction...no?"