drive thru (au)

as you can probably tell by the lowercase title, this is the third week in a row in which i'm doing a depressing entry lol
ngl, i'm probably gonna keep doing these until my life gets a bit better, so enjoy, i guess?

the raindrops drummed against the car windows as I pulled up into the parking lot, my headlights casting a pool of yellow light onto the pavement. several dim streetlamps flickered nearby, their hazy, silver glows barely able to penetrate the fog.

my hand instinctively reached for the tea i'd bought that morning and barely touched, only to find that its former warmness had completely vanished. with a sigh, i drove towards the drive thru of the restaurant and skimmed the brightly lit menu, which stood out, in an almost jarring manner, against its pitch-black background.

i didn't know exactly which restaurant this was, just that it was somewhere in the outskirts of the city that i could eat at after driving all day. my stomach was growling.

after ordering a burger and fries, i drove to the delivery window and waited. i could faintly hear the pop music playing from inside the restaurant, feeling my stomach twist into a knot. once upon a time, i was a firm believer of having everyone sit down and eat together, since nobody was in a rush and food was meant to be enjoyed. sure, i used to argue, we can still laugh in a car, but it was so cramped and just didn't offer the same experience.

well, those days were over. things were... different now.

everyone else had already found their paths in life, and every time i saw them, they looked happier than they had ever been before. i put up a false smile to cover my misery up and fabricated stories to tell them when they asked how i was doing, when in reality, i spent my days driving across the countryside in search of something that could reignite the flame i once possessed.

my knuckles turned white on the steering wheel as the memories flooded in. it had been... months since i'd last seen anyone. it wasn't that they never arranged to meet up, since gatherings were held weekly, i just couldn't keep up the charade. so i made up a plethora of excuses, complaining about how my girlfriend and i were simply too busy.

over time, i think they started to think i'd become increasingly selfish, preferring to pursue my own desires instead of acknowledge them. they still reached out to me every week, but it was obvious their tones had changed from hopeful to disappointed.

i used to be the stubborn, determined one who never quit, but now...

the more i withdrew myself, the harder it became to just confess that i wasn't as happy as i claimed to be. i knew they'd accept me regardless and only do everything they could to turn my life around, but my pride couldn't handle it.

not to mention i didn't even have a girlfriend, despite the fact that, in my younger years, i constantly bragged about being the most attractive person in the realm. i guess, technically, i could say i did have a girlfriend, since we never officially broke up, but i hadn't seen nor talked to her in years.

even back when we were actually dating, i never even gave her that much attention because playing games was fun and i'd always assumed she'd never leave me. that falling out of love was impossible. but when she never replied to my last text after she'd said she'd had enough, it hit me like a brick. now i knew i was just immature.

the waitress told me my order was ready and i gave her a nod of thanks before paying and leaving with my food.

i suddenly wasn't hungry anymore, so i just tossed the bag onto the passenger seat and came out of the drive thru and back onto the highway. the restaurant's lights continued to glimmer in the rear view mirror until it all disappeared into the night.

the rain came pouring down. 

A/N: I didn't include any names this time, but I'm sure you guys will be able to figure out who's narrating. This was pretty fun to write, though it did make me sad lol

Go check out squidneyxd's entry, it's probably fun and lighthearted 

Have a great day everyone, thanks for reading/voting/commenting as always, and stay safe