Guardian (Soldier AU #2)

The glass shattered onto the marble floors as I brushed aside the curtains with a flick of my wrist and leaped out the window. After using a tree to cushion my fall and landing on the ground with a light thud, I grinned to myself and silently thanked the princess for being kind enough to give me a room for the night, then apologized for leaving without saying goodbye to her. Oh well, at least there were plenty of girls to amuse myself with at home.

I took care to hide in the bushes every here and there before going off on a sprint to find another hiding spot.

Soon enough, I was beyond the palace gates, a seemingly endless stretch of grassland in front of me. The villages were in the opposite direction, so I didn't have to worry about some ungrateful woman ratting me out again. Smirking, I turned around.

"I know you're there, Princess."

As expected, a figure dropped from the sky, landing in front of me with a spear in her right hand. She stood up to her full height, but because she was still noticeably shorter than me, it didn't make her look any more menacing. "Really? Then why didn't you speak up earlier? I already know your little secrets."

"And I know yours," I replied coolly, "I also know you're alone because you were too proud to request assistance from the palace guards. Not a wise choice if I say so myself, Princess."

"Are you mocking me?" Skylor asked, and below her hood, I could only see the bottom of her face, as the top was shrouded in shadow.

"Not really. Just disappointed that I'm more prepared than you are. Take her to the Guardian."

And before she could say another word, a cloth was shoved into her mouth as she crumpled to the ground.

"Sorry Princess," I said, even though she probably couldn't hear me.

...

"So this is the Princess of Amber?"

I nodded curtly as Cole leaned forward to examine the unconscious figure currently bound to a chair. His dark brown eyes narrowed as he looked her up and down and I turned my gaze towards her as well, her scarlet hair having fallen out of her ponytail somewhere along the way. She still looked gorgeous even now, and I was pretty sure I had been staring, since the next thing I knew, Cole was waving his hand in front of my face.

Coughing to clear my throat, I looked up at him.

"Nice job, Kai. Anyway, since you were gone, we've made plans to meet up with Zane's troops below Shintaro, the quickest route through the mountains. You with me?"

I gave him another curt nod. "And I trust that you've secured the Emerald?"

Cole grinned. "They didn't make me Guardian for nothing. By the way," he added, leaning in, "I received a message from Lloyd yesterday, and tomorrow morning he'll deliver it to the Sanctuary."

"Wait, that's great!" I said, "So then he'll retreat to the mountains, I presume?"

"Yup, he said he'll stay there for a few weeks and in the meantime won't be contacting us."

"Makes sense."

"Anyway, watch over her, will ya? I'll be back soon," Cole said before heading out and closing the door behind him.

I turned around to face her slumping figure and cocked my head to the side, wondering what I was gonna do now that we were going to be alone in this room for who knew how long. Since Cole was my superior (though he still told me to call him by name), I wasn't to leave this post until he gave me an order to.

Then suddenly, she raised her head, and I jumped back, expecting her to still be unconscious.

"Thanks, Kai," Skylor said with a sly grin, "Now we know where the Garmadon child is. My troops are very grateful for your help." 

A/N: Ayyy so now I actually continued on with that AU. This obviously doesn't meet the word count, but I mean, I didn't try :D

Check out squidneyxd's entry, and I hope you enjoyed this one!

Thanks for reading/voting/commenting as always and have a great day!