XXXI | Guilty

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE | CON

______

"I SWEAR—hospital food is the most disgusting thing on earth."

Genevieve looked at the nurse with a nasty scowl, pushing the tray of food away from her stubbornly. "I've been in prison, for your information. I was given a buffet of food there and compared to her; it was delicious!"

"I apologize for the inconvenience, Ms. Romano. But, unfortunately this meal is hospital protocol, it's specialized to help you recover your vitamins and iron in your bloodstream," the nurse explained calmly, sending a pitiful smile in Genevieve's direction.

"Does it look like I care about stupid hospital protocol," Giuliana snarled. "I'm Genevieve Romano. And I want real food immediately now!"

The nurse smiled pitifully once again. "I apologize but I'm not allowed to do that, Ms. Romano."

"What do you mean—"

"I'll handle her, don't worry."

Elias closed the door behind him, sending a thankful smile in the nurse's direction before gazing at Genevieve with a defiant brow. Once, the nurse left the room, Elias crossed his arms over his chest as he tutted in disapproval.

"Hospital protocol, is hospital protocol, Genevieve. You can't change it," Elias affirmed.

Genevieve scoffed at the challenge. "Really?! Watch me."

"Genevieve stop," Elias warned, "the food is supposed to help you heal your injuries. It's supposed to be like that—plus, it's not even that bad." He leaned forward, peering at the tray in her lap. "A burger, not bad."

"Please, she's trying to feed me carbs!" Genevieve exclaimed, her eyes wide as she pushed the hospital food away. "I have thirteen percent of body fat in my whole body—eating that will ruin it. Without a doubt. I want something healthier, nutritious yet with an extraordinarily phenomenal taste."

"You're impossible," Elias mumbled, shaking his head.

Genevieve clicked her tongue, ignoring his comment and pursuing her joyful speech of her selection over food. "If you'd like, you can take your time to order me a nice entré at Dolce Vita's. A nice one, like, Bucatini con lemonia Carbonara."

"Like I'm going to buy you something from Dolce Vita," Elias huffed with a dramatic eye roll, "they charge like, three hundred for a glass of water, without ice."

"What can I say," Genevieve shrugged unapologetically, "I'm high maintenance. So is the Bucatini too much?"

Elias groaned as he turned around, opening the door of the hospital room and sending a quick look at Genevieve before turning to leave.

- - - - - -

"I swear—what is taking this man so long?!"

Genevieve's lips formed into a scowl as she glanced out the window of the hospital room, watching as only the sight of twinkling stars reverberated against her. Her hand shuffled around with a large stack of magazines that were given to her by one of the nurses, per request.