Chapter 19: GONE

CHAPTER 19: GONE

***

THIRD PERSON

The worst feeling a person could have, is not understanding his own feelings.

Aivan and Haruto were facing each other while standing beside the ice-cold Haran river. Both were confused and anxious at the same time.

“Ano bang sinasabi mo?” Nagulat si Aivan nang di nya sinasadyang matulak si Haruto palayo. “Haruto di ko alam kung nakatulong ba yung mga sinabi mo o mas pinagulo mo lang yung utak ko.” Bahagya syang napasabunot sa sarili nang makaramdam sya ng kirot sa sentido nya.

Napalitan ng pag-aalala ang ekspresyon ng binata kaya napalapit sya ulit sa dalaga.

“I’m sorry. Nalilito din naman ako.” The lad mumbled scratched his nape.

“BANG!!!”

Natigilan ang dalawa nang makarinig sila ng putok ng baril. Haruto immediately grabbed Aivan’s shoulder.

“Can you swim?” Mabilis na tanong ng binata na hinigit ang dalaga palapit sa ilog.

“What? Of course—” Itutulak na sana ni Haruto si Aivan pero biglang kumapit nang mahigpit ang dalaga sa kanya.

“Wait! You can’t swim!” Aivan shrieked stopping him. She knew Haruto couldn’t even get closer to any vast body of water.

“BANG!!!” The loud gunshot came again thundering through the dark woods. “Hanapin nyo ang mga dayo! Wag nyo silang hayaang makatakas!”

“Wala na tayong oras.” Haruto practically screamed through his whisper. “Susunod ako.” Nagmamadaling sabi ng binata bago itinulak ng mahina si Aivan sa umaagos na tubig.

“Sa bandang ilog!” Those were the last words Aivan heard from the people who were chasing them. Cold running water eventually blanketed her body. She let her body be carried with the calm current while trying to hold her breath underwater as long as possible.

“BANG!!!” It was a muffled sound, but she was sure it was another gunshot.

‘No… It can’t be…’ Aivan was almost out of breath and the terrifying thoughts forming on her head were making the situation worse.

‘Was Haruto safe? Why wasn’t he coming?’

‘No… Please… This isn’t happening.’

‘Aivan why do you care so much about him?’

Her thoughts were fighting her while she was staring above. The river was crystal clear and she can see the moon shining brightly even from underwater.

‘Why are you even thinking about him right now?’

‘You’re drowning…’ Aivan held her throat when she realized what’s happening. She’s running out of air. Sinubukan nyang lumangoy para umahon pero hindi nya ma-iangat ang isang binti nya. She looked downwards and saw her leg stuck on weeds and roots at the bottom of the river.

‘You’re stuck!’ With horror on her face, she let out the last air bubble from her mouth.

‘Aivan, you’ll die.’

‘Again…’

She closed her eyes letting the darkness embrace her. But she can’t seem to calm herself. She wanted to fight. She wanted to struggle but her body’s already numb. There, several familiar pictures flashed on her mind.

‘Aivan…’ It wasn’t the same inner voice she used to hear.

Iminulat ni Aivan ang mga mata nya. Nasa tubig parin sya at malabo na ang isip at paningin nya. Pero na aninag nya ang isang pamilyar na pigurang lumalangoy papalapit sa kanya. Was it someone she knew?
But if she dies here, will she die for real? Will everything be over?