Diary of Victoria Crumwell (Part 5)

Dearest Diary,

I missed my home. I couldnt sleep these days while being in the border. I crave the meals of the orphanage and Sister Mary's company.

I hope the Queen will also be alright from my absence. I'll help the king with whatever he needs and get home safely.

Sincerely,
Victoria.

.-.-.-.-.-.

We marched through the path until we arrived at the northern border where I was enlisted. The King lied when he said this was close to the castle. It was practically miles away from it!

All of the recruited soldiers have fallen in line including me. Waiting for the King with his speech as well as two figures standing beside him.

He said all that needed to be said. Nothing interesting just some welcoming and that we'll be given our rooms and uniforms later.

"This is General Lincoln Auronia. Who will be your supervisor and in command." King Alastor introduced a man well built in his 40s. His expression loomed over us and clicked his tongue. He didn't look too happy about whatever it is about our division.

"Your highness. Why is there women recruits in our midst. They will only slow us down. Please reconsider." General Ingrid shouted making sure the others heard his opinion.

I see. So that's how it is. Now I heard the men snicker in agreement while they looked at me and the other women recruits like we were their prey. I ignored them and tried my best listening more to them instead.

"It is of no worry. We could use all the help we need. I don't see a person through their gender, General. I see their worth through their skill. Surely you're not doubting the words of your king?" (King Alastor)

The tension shifted into some thick air. General Lincoln could only scoff and reply back, "Pah! Let's just get this over with." He crosses his arms and gets off the stage.

The speech ended at that awkward moment. Nonetheless, I was thankful for King Alastor sticking up for us women. The kingdom of spade, while being a lovely home with really good people have this... misogyny.

They think women should stay home and just be a normal housewife like any other girls in the country. It really is hard getting jobs as a women. You can only take maid jobs at this point... or being an adventurer but it'll be risky. I suppose General Lincoln Auronia is one of those people.

I shook my head and began to gather my thoughts. Now that the speech is over I have to get over to my battalion group which consisted over at least 1,000 soldiers. I took my Identification Card and went to our barracks.

We were assigned that we'll be divided into companies. I'm one of the red colored card so I'll be staying with them. As I looked over the barracks I was staying with other 9 people. They stared at me for a while before minding their own business.

I looked over at one of the empty bed and placed on of my bags on it. I also noticed that there were already uniforms for us on a table beside our beds. Some other men started removing their clothes and putting on the uniform. I looked away for their privacy but I just heard them laugh.

I sighed. I decided to leave to find a women's changing room instead and left my sword on the bed. I took off my armor and left it there as well. I left the barracks walking and asking around where I could possibly change. Thankfully someone pointed me where I should change.

I hurriedly changed into my uniform and went back. It composed of a sweater with a dark green color having metal shoulder pads and light black boots.