41

Thalia

It was only now, as the flowers were beginning to bloom and the air beginning to warm, that I realized just how soon we would be leaving Hogwarts. Just how soon we would get jobs, move, and pick a side in the brewing war. Every day, it seemed, a new list of names would come out in the Daily Prophet. Every day we were reminded of what was really happening outside of the castle walls. 

We rarely talked about it- any of us. My friends and I focused our conversations on trivial gossip and such. Regulus and I talked occasionally about the war, but we tried not to think about it. He tried so hard to separate that part of his life from me. 

Every day, we grew closer to joining the war. Yet here I was listening to Slughorn lecture about potions I would never make or use in my lifetime.

"Now, can anyone tell me which properties of Elixir of Life make it different from Elixir of insanity?" The greying professor asked.

No one raised their hand. 

"Hmm," Slughorn scanned the room, "Mr. Black?"

I looked up from my notes at Regulus who was absentmindedly spinning his wand in between his fingers.  

"Powdered unicorn horn, lavender, and crushed beetle wings," Regulus replied without hesitation, looking straight at the professor while he continued to twirl his wand.

"Very good!" Slughorn exclaimed. I smiled slightly at Regulus's unfazed expression as the professor continued on. As Slughorn was talking, Regulus glanced over his shoulder to look at me. He sent me a slight smirk and I rolled my eyes, resuming my note-taking. I couldn't help but smile. 

God, I was so in love with him.

Anyway, back to what I was saying- he and I did talk about the war. It was uncomfortable for sure, but I made him talk about it. We mostly discussed our fears, though Regulus would always find a way to change the subject. Of course I didn't want to push him, but I knew it was healthy to discuss it occasionally. 

Especially because he too knew what was coming after school.

I would often catch Regulus staring into space when I was reading. I knew what he was thinking about. I knew that he hated what awaited him after Hogwarts. I hated it too, but all we could do was wait it out. Savor the time we did have. Though neither of us would say it aloud. 

"I believe that is all we have time for today," Slughorn's voice brought me back to reality, "Please have your essays in no later than Friday."

The shuffling of chairs and feet alerted me to begin packing up. 

"Ready for the Transfiguration quiz?" Hazel asked.

"Shit, is that today?" Liam gawked as we packed up our notes.

"Liam, I told you that yesterday," Anna shook her head in amusement. He stuck his tongue out at her and we laughed. 

Just as we were about to leave the classroom, Slughorn called: "Ms. Lark, Mr. Montgomery, and Mr. Black."

Ace and I stopped walking and frowned at the professor. I glanced at Regulus who raised his eyebrows slightly. I nodded the rest of our friends ahead, and the three of us walked up to the professor's desk. "Mark Friday off on your calendars, I am hosting a dinner party," Slughorn exclaimed warmly. 

"Oh-er," Ace stuttered. "I think I have detention that night with McGonagall,"

"Nonsense!" Slughorn said cheerily, "I can have that cleared up."

Ace forced a small, defeated smile, knowing there was no getting out of this. 

"And Ms. Lark, Mr. Black? Surely you two don't have detention too."