35

A/N: Short one today! Also, this new schedule is so much better and less stressful, so thank you for being patient. Additionally, I wrote some of the actual plot/action part of the book, and I'm so excited for y'all to read it eventually.

Thalia

"Can I ask you something?" I asked Regulus. We were laying on a couch in the common room, hidden by the shadows. Regulus was leaning against the arm of the couch, reading his book with one hand while the other was wrapped around my body. The width of the couch forced me to lay partially on top of him, though I was also on my back reading.

"You just did," he said. I didn't have to be facing him to know that there was a smirk on his face. 

I shifted my body around so I was laying partly on his chest, staring up at him. He raised his eyebrows, waiting for me to speak.

"What are we?"

"What do you mean?" He frowned.

"I mean like what are we? What do we call each other?"

"Uh I dunno, our names?" Regulus smirked. He was a Black at heart. I smiled slightly. 

"So no labels or anything?" I asked.

He sighed.

"Labels scare me," he said and I snickered.

"Ok but what about, I dunno, commitments? Like exclusivity? We never really determined what this is."

"Well are you interested in anyone else?" He asked levelly, his grey eyes analyzing my expression.

"No," I swallowed, "Are you?"

"No."

"Do you want to keep it that way?" I asked. I braced myself for his response.

"Yes." 

I tried to fight back a smile and turned back onto my back once more to continue reading. His arm tightened slightly- enough for me to notice- which made me smile more. 

I saw a flash of color out of the corner of my eye, and I glanced down to see the bottom of his mark uncovered as his arm was wrapped around my waist. I set my book down and took his arm into my hands, gently rolling up the sleeve. 

"What are you doing?" He mumbled absentmindedly while he read.

"Just looking." I tilted his arm to get a better view, the red skin still unchanged around the dark mark. "Is it getting any better?"

"No."

"I want to figure out why," I said.

"What do you mean?" he asked. 

"I want to figure out why it looks like this," I said, tracing my fingers down the side of his forearm. 

"Good luck," he scoffed lightly. 

"Can I?" I craned my neck to look up at him. 

"Can you what?" Regulua asked, turning away from his book.

"Research it. Can I try to figure out why it's so irritated? It bothers me that there's no obvious answer."

"Be my guest," he smirked dryly. 

I covered the mark back up with his sleeve, and we both went back to reading in silence. I was used to the sounds- Regulus flipping a page, the crackling fire, the water lapping against the windows. The sensations, however, were new. The content rise and fall of his chest, his heartbeat. It was a different kind of vulnerability to be so close to him. 

Regulus

I have never been so close to someone-not in a sexual context, I mean- and actually be ok with it. Allow myself to feel at peace and enjoy the moment.

Thalia was leaned up against me, reading her book. Her body was perfectly nestled into mine, fit together like puzzle pieces. Both of us enjoyed the quiet atmosphere.

I read my book, letting myself get lost in the words, all while feeling her body on mine. 

After some time, the sound of her page flipping ceased. I looked down to see her very much asleep, head turned so it rested on my chest, right under my heart. I absentmindedly stroked her hair while reading, brushing it out of her face with my fingers. I loved the way she looked when she was asleep- utterly peaceful.

For now, I would enjoy the few moments like this that made me forget about the war. About my life.

Thalia was the only person I was able to talk to. The only person I was able to be myself around. The only person who listened without taking pity on me. The only person who listened without fearing me. She was the only consistent thing. But it was so much more than that. She made me happy. Genuinely happy. Not the fake smile kind of happy, but real happiness. I didn't know what to call that exactly, but it was unlike anything I'd ever experienced. 

The weirdest part to me was how comfortable I was with her even despite the fact that we only grew close over the past couple of months. 

I read for a bit longer before deciding to wake Thalia up. I closed my book and sat up, gently pushing her awake. 

"Oh sorry," she mumbled tiredly, moving her body off of mine. 

"It's fine," I assured. I meant it too.

She ran a hand over her face and grabbed her book off the couch before standing up. 

"Goodnight," she smiled, ruffling my hair. I scowled which only made her smile more. 

"Goodnight." I watched her walk upstairs as I remained unmoving from my spot on the couch. I went back to my book. 

The room felt emptier without her.