18

Thalia

As fun as the holiday was with Hazel, the last couple of days were boring for the both of us. We had completely exhausted our activities. You may think I'm joking, but I'm most certainly not. On the last day of the holiday, for example, we tried to learn about quidditch. 

Sorry, let me repeat that for you. We- as in Hazel and I- tried to learn about quidditch. If that doesn't give you a good idea, than I'm not sure what else will. 

Needless to say, I was in a very good mood when I awoke the morning the students would be returning. 

Hazel and I ate breakfast together, both of us impatiently glancing at the door every so often even though we both knew students wouldn't arrive until the late afternoon. 

The morning past slowly, and finally, a bit after lunch as we were sitting in the common room, we heard voices coming from outside the dungeons. Slowly but surely students began filing into the common room with their bags. Anna and Liam were the first of our friends whom we spotted walking through the door. The two of them were arguing when Hazel and I jumped up to greet them.

"...no no no!" Anna exclaimed, "You have it all wrong!" 

"I absolutely do not!" Liam gaped, smiling at how riled up Anna was.

"Whatever it is, I agree with Anna," I said, walking up to them.

"Hi!" Anna grinned, pulling me into a hug. "How was it?"

"Good, but quiet," Hazel said as Anna hugged her.

"Did you like my gift?" Liam smirked at me. 

"I personally loved it," I smirked, "but I think Dumbledore would probably be less pleased if he ever found out." Along with my actual gift, Liam had sent me an exploding dung bomb that went off as soon as I opened it. Not only had the entire dormitory smelled for a whole day, but the bomb nearly blew off the curtains with it.

Liam grinned and ruffled my hair. The four of us talked for a bit while we waited for the rest of our friends. Only a minute later, Ace, Augie, and Joe walked in while talking about quidditch. 

"Hey ladies," Augie hugged Hazel and I. "How was Christmas with Filch and Dumbledore?"

"Everything we dreamed it would be," I replied. Joe said "hi" to us before continuing his conversation with Augie which left Ace, Hazel, and I. 

"Hi," Ace said to me.

"Hi," I replied, still very much aware that Hazel was with us too.

"Are we good?" Ace asked.

"We're good," I smiled reassuringly.

"Ok," he breathed, hugging me. 

"I have to go talk to Anna," I said, pulling away. "I'll be right back."

He nodded and I left him and Hazel alone to greet one another. I quickly went over to Anna and Liam to 'join in their conversation'. Really I was just watching Hazel and Ace from far away. He hugged her just as he had me before rejoining Joe and Augie, leaving Hazel standing with a light blush across her face. I smiled to myself: my theory was definitely right,.

As the common room was getting more crowded, Anna, Hazel, and I went up to our dormitory to sit with Anna while she unpacked. When Hazel was in the bathroom, I told Anna privately about my theory. Though Hazel had never outright admitted it to me during the break, her crush on Ace was heavily implied. 

When she retuned, the three of us caught up with one another. Anna told us about her younger siblings and parents as well as her gifts. We told her about our adventures at the near-empty school.