Chapter 103: Still There

*posting two chaps at once, make sure you read 102 before this one!! Don't wanna spoil the cliffhanger if you accidentally start on this one hehe*
—————————————————————————

Heidi's POV

My eyes fluttered as I struggled to regain consciousness. I could feel pain rushing in to replace the numbness that I'd been feeling and I tried to figure out what the hell was going on.

The last thing I remembered was coming out of the woods and getting in the car with that guy who said he'd drive me to the hospital... and then... it seemed like... Vince was there? I think I'd dreamed that? We'd kissed and then everything'd gone black...

Finally, my eyes opened slowly and I had to squint to adjust to the bright lights all around me. I-I was in a hospital and... holy shit, it wasn't a dream. Vince is here. I looked down at him, grasping my hand with his head resting on the bed.

I didn't want to wake him up, I could've stayed there forever and just watched him sleep... it was the first time I'd felt at peace in forever. I tried to grip his hand in mind, but I was a lot weaker than I thought. It ended up being more of a twitch than a squeeze and his eyes shot open. He picked his head up and stared down at my hand.

He doesn't know I'm awake... how long have I been out? I wondered.

I tried to grip his hand again, but when I looked down I noticed his right had was wrapped up in a cast? What the hell?

"W-what happened to you?" I tried to say, but my voice barely came out as a mumble.

He looked up from my hand and I felt my heart skip a beat when our eyes finally met, his face lighting up when they did.

"H-Heids, oh my god. You scared the shit out of me!" He said softly, scooting forward in his chair and reaching up to put his hand on my cheek.

I grabbed a hold of his wrist weakly, keeping his hand to my face and closing my eyes. It was so nice just to feel his touch again... he was warm and I'd forgotten how big his hands were. I exhaled sharply, remembering all of the times that I thought I might never be able to feel this again.

"I can't believe you're actually here." I said softly, trying my hardest to take in every detail.

"Well believe it, baby I'm not going anywhere. I'm not gonna let anyone hurt you ever again... Heidi, I'm so sorry that I didn't... that I couldn't-" He started to ramble, but I cut him off.

"What? You don't have anything to be sorry for." I said, trying to sit up and then wincing in pain as I did.

"Yes I do. I should've done something. Anything... I-I should've found you, or I should've just gone inside hour apartment with you that night." He continued, but I quickly shook my head. I thought about what might've happened if he'd come inside with me that night a million times... replaying what that psycho had said to me again in my head:

It's just too bad he didn't come in here, I was really looking forward to getting him out of our way.

"No, you couldn't have come in that night. If you had, he would've shot you. I'm glad you weren't there... He wanted you out of the picture... He could've killed you... He-he was crazy..." I said, trailing off as my words caught in my throat and I started to cry.

"No... baby, it's okay. I'm right here, I promise. I'm fine." He said leaning forward, cupping my face in between his hands and putting his forehead against mine as I tried my hardest to stop crying.