Chapter 15: Ambush!

Začať od začiatku

Maria saved him before he could fall.

Ms. Brook did not take the stumble too well. Instantly, she yelled at Ben, "Your Majesty, my baby boy needs to rest."

"What?" Ben asked. "We've only been walking twenty minutes."

Boy, it was times like these that Evie was glad her mother wasn't overprotective.

Charlotte was eager to get rid of her sister. "Yeah, yeah, let's leave them behind," she said to Ben. "Less luggage means more success."

"We're not leaving anyone behind," Ben snapped. "Not with a basilisk on the loose."

Ms. Brook tried again. "My baby boy needs to rest! And so does his fiancée!" She stamped her foot, picking up dust in the process.

"Okay, okay," Ben said. "Ten minutes."

"No! Twenty!"

"Mom, please stop," Mateo begged. He hoped the whole hike wasn't going to be like this.

Maria was a little tired, so she and Mateo sat together. They propped their backs up against a log.

Ms. Brook tended to the young adults. She gave them water and Maria a throw-up bag, just in case she started to feel sick.

Evie knew nausea was a symptom of early pregnancy. She and her friends wanted to join their counselor, but Keegan and Charlotte did not let them–Keegan especially.

Charlotte pulled a brush out of her backpack. She ran it through Evie's ponytail. "You don't want to get caught up with them, Evie."

"That man will do nasty things to you," Keegan growled. "I can't believe the camp put you in his group."

Evie opened her mouth to protest, but Ashlynn jumped in for her. "Y'all have it all wrong. Mateo is a good man."

"He tried to hook up with Evie's grandmother!" Keegan fought.

"You mean our grandmother?" Evie corrected. "Come on, Mom and Dad. Why can't y'all treat Mateo's family like how John and Ben treat each other?"

Off to the side, Ben trained John in the ways of combat. He released his silver broadsword from the scabbard on Joey's saddle.

Evie wondered how he was able to carry a beast like that. The sword looked like it was half his weight.

Ben stabbed the tip into the ground. "Remember to stay focused, John," he ordered.

"Oh, I got this." John prepared himself. He jiggled his wings and stretched one leg behind him. The bird dodged Ben's lunges. He ducked under the blade, bent his head back, and hopped off to the side.

Smiling, Ben said, "Nice job."

As the hike progressed, the path gradually grew narrow and rocky.

The bumps over the rocks agitated Mateo's tummy. He pressed his hand up against a tree trunk and tried to catch his breath.

Up front, Sam cautiously examined the everlasting greenery.

"Well, do you recognize any of this?" Ben wanted to know.

"No." Sam tried to feel Euphorbia's aura, but Ms. Brook's voice broke his concentration.

"Your Majesty, my baby boy needs another rest."

Mateo slapped his hands to his face. "Mom," he groaned.