Chapter Seven

The last thing I remembered was that I was standing in front of my memories. My mother smiling down at me, Bianca, Hazel... as much as I wanted to explore these memories, wanted to feel important and loved, I knew they would only make me sad. Then, suddenly, I felt someone grab my shoulder and my warrior instincts kicked in. It had to be some sort of monster, why else would I be touched? I grabbed the hand that touched me, whirled around and pinned the monster to my bed. „Nico – NICO! What are you doing? I – ouch – let me go!"
I uttered a curse as I realized that it was only Will Solace. „I told you I don't like being touched", I growled and let go of him. He rubbed his arm and eyed me suspiciously.
„What was that for? I was only trying to wake you up."
„I don't like being woken up either. Where's my sword?", I asked, looking around.
„You're in the infirmary, death boy. Nobody is going to attack you here," Will said, looking confused.
„When did I allow you to call me death boy?"
„You didn't. I just decided I could. Also, it's nice to see you rested enough to complain. I was a little scared when you actually helped me."
I only sighed and sat down on my bed. I buried my face into my hands and breathed out slowly to calm myself down.
„Dude, you seriously gotta stop doing stuff like that. I wasn't trying to hurt you," Will said.
I glared at him angrily. „You don't get it, don't you? You don't know what it's like, constantly just... trying to survive. What it's like to know that being woken up can only mean that a monster is attacking you. What it's like to know that being touched means pain."
Will only looked at me, obviously not knowing what to say. „I... am so sorry... man, I can't even imagine what kind of stuff has happened to you. I'm just... trying to help."
„And I really do appreciate that. You're pretty much the only person that doesn't seem to be afraid of me. Just... respect that I don't like physical contact, okay?"
He nodded.
„Thank you," I said.
And there it was again, his usual smile. „Come on, Aurora. We need to eat. Even though it's about 4pm, but that doesn't matter."
„Aurora?" I asked. "Did you kiss me while I was sleeping?"
His face began to shine in an interesting shade of dark red. „No, of course not! I would never – I mean not because of you – I mean –"
Then I did something I hadn't done in a long time: I smiled.
„Let's go, doctor," I said, „I'm hungry."