11│A VERY CAPELWOOD CHRISTMAS

Start from the beginning

"Traditional presents?" Taylor asked.

"Yeah." The redhead nodded. "Mostly just with Shawn but every year since I met him I've given him a book. I don't think he reads them but he's never complained so it's sort of our thing."

"Aw," Sam cooed teasingly, causing the younger girl to turn pink and glower at him.

"Shut up."

"Juliet," Daly put in reproachfully, "we don't use that language with family."

"'S alright," the man brushed it off as he waved an airy hand. "So, shall we get this party started then?"

"Sounds like a plan," Barron agreed.

🌎🌎🌎

After setting up the tree— which would be decorated later that evening— everyone was cold from being outside for so long, so they moved to the kitchen where Barron pulled out the ingredients to make hot drinks. Juliet and Daly stood waiting in the work space to help while Sam, Taylor and Greg took seats at the long island in the middle of the room.

The younger redhead accepted the milk and eggnog that was passed to her as her father asked, "so, do you like hot chocolate with milk or water?"

Immediately, she made a face. "What are you, a barbarian? Milk, obviously."

Everyone but Greg chuckled at her response. 

"Sorry, sorry," the dark-haired man said, raising his hands in self-defense. "I thought that would be the answer but I didn't want to assume."

Juliet handed the cartons to her mother who had a saucepan heating up on the stove. Barron hunted around for cocoa powder before Sam suggested he look in the pantry. He returned, successful, and handed the box to Daly with a smile. "You know, I'd like to see some of those home videos if you don't mind. I'm sure everyone else would, too."

Next to him, Sam heard his brother mumble I wouldn't count on it but thankfully his words went unheard. He spoke over the brunet: "that sounds like a great idea, Ronnie. I'd definitely like to see little Juliet."

The redhead rolled her eyes. "There's not much change between now and then. I've only gotten taller and some would say that hasn't changed either."

"Who would say that?" Taylor asked, amused.

"Shawn, probably."

"Her boyfriend," Daly teased her as she poured in the milk to bring it to a boil.

Juliet turned pink. "Mom."

"You finally asked him out then?" Sam questioned her.

"He asked me out," she corrected him. A fond smile formed on her face as she remembered how nervous he'd been as they left the restaurant.

Sam leaned over to his boyfriend and in a loud whisper, said, "she's in love."

"I am not!" the redhead protested. "We just started dating. That would be way too soon."

"Please," Daly countered. "Even I knew you two would end up together the first time he came over."

"Now I really want to see those movies," Barron commented.

🌎🌎🌎

After the hot drinks were ready, Daly went to the car to collect the videos before they went upstairs to the more comfortable "viewing room" as Barron called it, which was really just a larger version of a family room. The forty-five inch box TV stood proudly in front of a setup of couches with a coffee table in the middle where they put their various drinks.