7│I LOVE YOU, DONNA KARAN

Start from the beginning

"As they say south of the border, dos semanas," the dark-haired boy answered.

"Shawn, you guys were really getting along. She's been the one person you've always wanted a relationship with and now you're just going to let her go?" the blonde demanded. "Your two-week rule is dumb."

"No, no, no," Cory disagreed. "Trying not to push his feelings on to her was dumb, this shows growth."

"Shawn, just face it," the girl said, "you're afraid to make a commitment."

"I'm not afraid to make a commitment!" Shawn protested, which was true. What he was afraid of was hurting his best friend beyond all hope of forgiveness.

"You're afraid to get to know someone," Topanga continued. "You're afraid that if you do have a relationship with Juliet, it's not going to be as good as you've always thought it could be and unless you get over this, you're going to go through life all alone because Juliet will have moved on. Except for Cory, who will bring you magazines and pudding. There, I think I got through to him."

Cory gave her a incredulous look as he nodded to the boy who had turned around and started kissing another girl. "Sure you did, honey, and now he wants to hear what she has to say."

🌎🌎🌎

"What did Topanga mean about me being afraid to commit?" Shawn asked Cory the next day at school. "You know, most relationships don't work out and I just want to get out before Juliet gets hurt, okay?"

"Shawn, Topanga just wants you to be happy."

As they passed the sitting area in the hall, an unattended bag caught their attention. "Hey, somebody left their purse."

Cory walked over and picked it up as their teacher left his office. "Hey, Mr. Feeny, we found this purse. Who runs the lost and found?"

The older man paused. "I do, Mr. Matthews. I teach English, history and film and I run the lost and found."

"We'll put up a notice," Shawn told him quickly.

Mr. Feeny sighed before he walked away. The two boys made their way to the couch. "Maybe you should go through it and see if there's an ID?"

"No," Cory replied immediately. "I once went through my mom's purse. Yeah, I can't look at her anymore." He passed the bag to the other boy.

"There's got to be something in here that lets us know who she is, right?" Shawn asked as he sat down. "I'm goin' in." He pulled out a container.

"Lip gloss," Cory remarked, taking it from him. "She cares about her lips." He unscrewed the cap and sniffed it. "Kiwi-mango."

"Kiwi-mango?" Shawn repeated. A certain redhead instantly came to mind. "No way! Kiwi. . . that's so sexy! Did you know that Ted Koppel show called that 'the lip gloss of forbidden love?'"

"Huh," the curly-haired boy responded. "And look at this, a book of sonnets."

"Shakespeare, I hear he's good," he joked, opening the book. "Notice the bookmark, a ticket stub to a Van Damme movie, only the greatest actor ever made."

"So what we got here is a purse-losin', lips protectin', poetry readin', Van Damme lovin' gal."

What Shawn said next surprised both of them: "wow, I'd give her two weeks."

🌎🌎🌎

Shawn Hunter was in a dilemma.

While that not entirely unusual, this sort of problem had never happened to him. He'd continued to look through the bag in the hopes of finding the owner's identity but as he did so, he found the girl to be more and more interesting. This resulted in his mind being occupied (for once in his life) by more than one girl.