Chapter 22 - shes alive boggywoggiewoggie

My eyes flip open and I'm instantly aware of a throbbing pain throughout my entire body. I groan loudly

"Clove... clove can you hear me" the voice sounds desperate. But i know that voice. It the voice of the boy I love.

The sounds of rainfall crashes against the metal of the cornucopia. It Makes my ears ring
I'm alive.. how am I alive.. do I deserve to be alive

I try to sit up but the pain pulls me back to the ground

"Don't try to sit up" Catos face is now hanging over me but it's all out of focus. But I can see a massive grin spread from ear to ear. What's he so happy about? I

"I didn't know if you were gonna wake up. Thought you'd just drop out the games for a bit. Huh?" his tone is sarcastic but completely relived.

I mange to mutter a sentence "how long has it been?"

He scratches the back of his head "day and a half... nothings happened... i didn't want to leave your side"

I now notice that Cato had used the table cloth as a pillow and his coat and the only sleeping bag is warapped around me.

He continues talking "I found some medical pills so I crushed them and put them in the water then gave you it. I didn't think it would work. Maybe it didn't work and you were always not gonna die. I bandaged your arm and head, there's like a dent in your skull. It looks weird. But Thresh didn't hit you that hard. Overwise you would be dead I guess, I really hoped you weren't dead. If you were dead I'd have to be dead too ,and I'm going to get Thresh I couldn't get there in time I saw them run away and I nee- "

I interrupt him "Cato your rambling.. we need to get out of here. Katniss would've healed by now and probably Peeta too. And Thresh didn't hear the canon go off he knows we're both still alive they'll be hunting us soon. And we're exposed" my voice is scratchy. Even talking seems slightly exhausting.

He scratches the back of his head not quite knowing if I would be ok to move again, medical is completely out of both of our expertise. We never learnt how to heal only to hurt. I try to move again but my eyes cloud over. We're complete sitting ducks here
Let them come
No don't. I can't afford to think like that. I need to help Cato get out of here. My main goal is to get Cato and Myself home. But what I said to katniss keeps repeating in my head, how I mocked her when she was dying. She looked me in the eye. I mean hell she even spat in my face. What did I do when confronted with death, I screamed, I lost it completely. I was in that moment just a scared 15 year old. She was the real gladiator. I was a coward.

Cato comes over with some meats from the sponsor but he's ground it all up into some sort of soup. I wonder if his been eating well. I hope he has, but I don't deserve it. I think of Rue, how I mocked her, how she could've been at home eating with her family like a 12 year old should. Cato puts an arm behind my back slowly raising me. It makes me feel dizzy and weak. Cato feeds me by spoonfuls and pours water into my mouth. I can feel tears start to pool down my face, I tell him it's just the pain in my body, I still need to keep an act so we can get sponsors. I can't tell him what I'm thinking I don't think I'd want to. But maybe he'd be the only other person who would understand. After Cato lays me back down to sleep. I wonder how long it's been since he slept. Ecpessily in such an exposed area. I fall right into sleep exhausted from being awake for a mere hour maybe less. The thunder constantly wakes me up again. And lightning streaks through the sky. There's complete downpour.

I try to list in my head where everyone might be. Katniss' head injury would have barely knocked he out for a day, Cato said nobody died, so she obviously got the medicine to lover boy , they've been ok since yesterday. Probably taking time to rest from there wounds, Finch will be in a den somewhere warm enough that she hasn't keeled over from the cold and Thresh ran into the fields we haven't yet explored. So why the storm?

That's when it hits me. The storms for Cato and Thresh. The game makers want there fight to be dramatic

"Cato?"

No reply maybe he just didn't hear me over the storm

"Cato!"

I feel stronger than a few hours ago so I lift myself up so I'm sitting leaning against the golden wall. But my body threatens to fall straight back over. I look around the insides of the cornucopia . He isn't here Cato isn't here. Both of the packs are beside and his jacket still wrapped around me. I instantly know where his gone, his gone to hunt Thresh.

But I saw Thresh he has built muscle since the games, whilst Catos still more built than average his starving and probably exhausted from lack of sleep. I feel so useless. He laid out one of my knifes and put the night vision glassess by my head I pick up both and swear to myself I won't fall asleep till his back. His trapped me. He knows I'm too weak to move. He picked the fight in the down pour because nobody would move in this weather so I'm pretty much safe. I can't help but wonder if his canon has gone off, just hidden by the lightning and thunder. But he needs to come back. I don't know what I'll do if he doesn't.

I begin to cry again, screaming for Cato, nobody will hear me not over all of the thunder. So I allow myself to sob hopelessly untill I feel there's no water left in my body anymore and my throat is completely horse. I need him. I need him so much. The effort of it all sends lighting through my body. Or maybe it's just the cold. The lights quickly fading. And plummeting into complete darkness. Even the glasses are little help in this weather.

The capitols seal appeares in the sky. Thresh. Threshes face is the only one up there. Catos alive! But where is he. I can't imagine Thresh went down without a fight. I sit unmoving, if I tried it would just result in pain and no progress. My eyelids drop but I will them to stay open. I repeat the words stay awake in my head ,it's useless. I decide I will get up and hunt for Cato tomorrow. Even if my body rejects every movement I'll find him. I hear a crash against the top of the corincoupia making me jump awake and alert. It's just lightning, but it also illuminated a figure, half running twords the cornucopia.

I know instantly it's Cato. I push hard against the floor standing up, but the ground feels like it's shaking beneath me. So I lean my back to the cold metal wall. Shaking from pain and cold as Cato comes closer. Back to me. He enters the inside of the corincoupia limping and hunched over ,hand on his ribs, the other hand over his head in attempt to stem the blood flow which is also dripping from his lip. If he was bleeding anywhere else it would be hard to tell because his clothes stuck to him wet from the downpour. He throws What his scavgend from his kill onto the floor. I don't look at that I only look at him. The fight was obviously a hard one. I had expected no less.

I want to scream at him demand why he went out in this rain risking himself, why he left me? But I cant instead I just watch him. He pulls off his wet clothes throwing them to the floor and I reflectively turn my head as he puts on new undergarments. He holds me under my arms lowering me into the sleeping bag. His whole body is ice cold and without a word he slips into the sleeping bag next to me. I pull his coat off of me and wrap it around him instead. But his body still rattles next to mine. We fall asleep in each others arms again.