Chapter 16 - the hunt

I get some sleep. I must be almost 24 hours awake and I'm exusted. Catos absolutely determined to hunt tonight, I'd rather hunt when I'm fully awake. I drift off to sleep hearing Marvel and Cato laughing together. Chase sits by himself, his still terrified of all of us especially Cato.

Cato wakes me up at Dusk telling me it's time to go. This time we take our personal packs with us, marinas and glimmers have been left untouched. Nobody needed to go through it. We haven't gone needing anything for the whole time with been here because of how quick we secured the supply's. We leave chase at the camp. We head down by the stream following it. Cato says he knows "lover boy went this way and his wound will finish him soon if I don't get there quick. "I want to kill him myself" Cato had sliced his leg during the trackerjacker attack. But Cato said he wasn't satisfied with the kill and since we were slower and less then usual it would be easy to hunt him down. The terrain is slippery, but easy to navigate

Cato and I wear the night vision glassess marvel had given them up when I convinced him I needed them more because he attacks at close range whilst I need to keep far away, meaning I actually need to see where I'm throwing. We don't bring torches this time we decided that stealth will be the best way for this particular trip. Cato leads and I take up the back. We've been walking for about an hour but nothings appeared so when we see the boy from 10 it's almost a miracle. This boy is as good as dead. Catos seen him too.

They boy is untying a snare he set out, it holds a bird that I don't know. And to be honest I don't care. I tap marvel on the shoulder. He squats down so his ear is by my mouth

"District 10 boy, limpy, about 20 metres ahead"

We silently converge around him. The boy doesn't notice as we get closer and closer entrapping him in a triangle

"Hello" Marvel shout cheerfully

The boy jumps and turns away from marvel ready to run but stright into Catos chest. He looks completely dazed

"Goodbye" Cato growel driving his sword through the boys chest.

There's no smiles or cheers like the first few times. Killing feels like a chore not an houner. I wonder if the other feel. This too. Maybe it's the lack of glimmers praise. Or not having Marina go straight in to look through the dead boys supplies. The air just feels empty.

The canon sounds

We head back to camp. Silently the guys all just fall onto there sleep mats so I take the first shift. I go in and wake Marvel, getting some sleep myself. And then am woken 3 hours later to take the 4th shift. Then I go back to sleep. This would be so much easier if the others where still here, but maybe it's better we won't have to kill them later. And the people I'm with are my biggest adversary. Doubts run through my heads about the games , about the capitol, about things I should never doubt. But I remember the sadness behind Enobaria and Brutus eyes. Dismissing their offhand comments about winning the games. I tell myself I'm just tired and fall back asleep. But the doubt just won't seem to leave my mind. I dream of winning but all the people I've killed are in the audience and they just stare at me. Glimmers green eyes bore into my skull.

I wake up in the late morning. Chase sits far away eating by himself. Cato and Marvel sit on the makeshift table, eating bowls of stu.

"Hey clove. Can you get some more matches from the prymid. We used the last ones for our lunch" shouts Marvel as soon as he sees me

"Yeah sure, lazy"

Marvel put his hand on his heart and opens his mouth like my comment offended him in some way, Cato burst out laughing spewing some soup out his nose. The veiwers in the capitol must've found it halarious. Seeing this Brutish boy shoot food from his nose. I can imagine Nimit clasping her hand over her mouth. Everybody's relaxed abit more since last nights kill. I wonder if they were thinking the same thing as me last night. But now I see them laughing I defiantly think I was over reacting in my head. I throw the matches at Marvel and sit down next to Cato.
"So marvel... how's district 1"

We start small talk we learn district 1 is like a very down graded version of the captiol they have people who try to re-create the latest fashion and talk like capitol people. But it doesn't sound right. We also learn that Marvels got a girlfriend back home. He tells us about his family. His an only child like me .That's when I first learn that Catos father is dead and that his mother also supports his little brother and sister who are twins. I couldn't believe I didn't even know that about him. Marvel has a lot to talk about himself. He tells us practically a biography of his life up till now. I learn that the funny guy act isn't actually an act. It's just Marvel. Some of his stories have our eyes watering they're so funny. I seem to forget the people in this arena have a life, something they want to get back to. I can't afford to think of other people as conplex beings so I block the rest of his Story's out. But it's to late. I like this guy, I don't want him to die, but he needs to die and that's dangerous.

Marvel is telling another ridiculous story, when Cato turns his head twords the forest and does a double take.

"Look" he points into the woods

There's thick smoke rising out of the trees. We immediately abandon any conversation and arm ourselves I'm already wearing my vest so I just pick up my essential back pack I case we get held overnight again the other two do the same.

"Should we take chase?" I ask

"No he needs to guard the supplies" - Marvel

Cato gets the final say though
"His coming . We need him in the woods, and his jobs done here anyway No one can touch those supplies"

I can tell he has no intention of underestimating any of the tributes that are left. We need all the extra hands we can get.

"What about lover boy?" Says marvel

Probably recalling he knows the path to our supplies

"Forget about him, I know where I cut him. It's a miracle he hasn't bled to death yet. At any rate, he's in no shape to raid us" Cato replies. "Come on"

He chucks a spear into chases hands, I can see the fear in the boys eyes. I don't think his faced a single bit of conflict since he entered the arena.

"When I find her I kill her in my own way, no one interferes"

We immediately know he's talking about katniss, as soon as Cato senses a Kill it's like a different version of him comes out. He's nothing of the kind boy on the hill. I can't help but wonder if he can turn off his emotion twords me. I mean it's what we've done so far during the games. No one would suspect a thing is going on between us.I bet nobody's even noticed my ring. I rember the convostation with marvel before the track jacker attack .except Marvel I think. I don't know how he figured it out though.

We run through the forest. Chase takes up the back already panting. By the time we reach the first fire nobody is there

"Must've heard us coming" says Cato looking around

"No there's somthing not right about this. It's hot today so you don't need warmth, and there's no smell so nothings been cooking"

Cato takes this in but before he can
speak again another fire is burning.

"Somethings going on" says Marvel

Against our better judgment we run to the second fire anyway because somebody's got to be setting them.

When we get there it the same again. We look around for signs of anybody hiding. Cato throws his back pack onto the floor and he propels his sword into a tree and grunts in complete defeat

"We'll find her ca..."

My sentence is cut off the ground rumbles. I look around for a fire enclosing us like before, what I see is much worse. Thick grey smoke rises into the air in vast amounts . The only time I've seen smoke like this before was in a re-cap of the 50th hunger games where a volcano erupted. But this was no volcano. The smoke was right over our supplies.