Chapter 14 - tracker jackers

The seal of the capitol shines and the anthem blares out Across the arena. There's been no deaths today but there's been enough action to prevent another assault from the game makers. The capitol citizens will probably be on the edge of their seats , waiting to see what happens to their Girl on fire. As soon as the anthem over I look up trying to spot katniss but it's too dark, she must still be up here. Nobody would fall asleep during a shift and let her wander. Glimmers on watch now then it will be lover boy then me. I drift back off to sleep ,curled around my own body tucking my knees into my coat trying to retain every bit of heat possible. Still I fall asleep shaking again.

We couldn't have been asleep for long when I'm jolted awake to a full scale bug attack no not bug, tracker jackers. Furious swarms of tracker jackers swarm the pack. I slept with all my stuff on so don't have to worry about picking any thing up except the packs. But I leave them there .not important. I'm already darting to the lake. I don't Even know if the others have had time to react yet. Cato .

"To the lake! To the lake!" I'm screaming before I know it's coming out of my mouth. Knowing my only intention was to get myself to safety and give Cato a chance as well

I was the first up. Sprinting to the lake .
running trying to wave the swarm away from my face. Shielding my face but I can feel there body's start to gather. It's like a wall I put my hands out instinctively trying to push through. Then I sharp pain goes into my hand like a sword slicing through the bone. I can hear a voice screaming help behind me, but I need to get to the lake. I dive into the water. Cato, lover boy and Marvel follow closely behind, the wasps travel over our heads lost. No longer being able to find us. I sigh relief floods over me.

I pull the stinger out of my hand and thick green pus starts oozing out, it swollen to the size of an orange . And not to mention it stinks. A canon assaults my ears, my minds spinning to much to register what it means I see Cato getting up and I run ahead. Leaving Cato behind. I don't know why, my feet go before I can register what my brains even telling me to do. Then I realise where I'm going ,I could get katniss. As I'm running I forget why again the sting is already obscuring my mind. I stumble a little I'm back at the camping spot with the tree, there just an empty nest where we made camp now I lean over and pick up a pack. It feels heavier than normal. It's such an effort to get it on my shoulder that I fall to the floor on to my hands a knees. Gaging into the floor. I look up That's when I see glimmer we're eye to eye just a few Inches away her once beautiful face is contoured into a monstrous shape. Bulbous spots like the one on my hand stick out everywhere. I throw up onto her. And stumble backwards. Flipping on to my back. I must've threw myself back hard because the wind is completely knocked out of me.

The world is spinning a lot. I look up seeing Bettles and flys gawn their way out of my skin leaving a gaping wound I scream and stare and then they just stop they seem to be dissolving and the wound closing itself.

I see katniss land on top of glimmers body. That's why I'm here I think again. I try to get to her, But it's like and invisible rope pulls me down back to the floor every time I try to get up. she seems to be attacking glimmer. But she's already dead, then Glimmers deformed head rolls over to face me her moth gaping open. I can hear her screaming for help. A swarm of spiders leave her mouth reaching my body and crawling all over it. Making a nest on top of my ribs cage. I try to wipe them off, my hands try to push them off my chest. But they keep biting me, every time. Red pools surround me, they must be digging their way into my heart. then the spiders disappear, just into thin air. they weren't biting me I was scratching myself with my own knife vest running my hands over my blades in an attempt to push the bugs off. I sit up examining the damage. But my hands seem to swirl before my eyes.

then somebody comes bounding through the bushes they grab hold of the girl and scream at her to run. It's lover boy. His helping katniss get away. i reach into my vest only reaching air. I look down and manoeuvre my hands but there slow and unreliable now. At last I manage to pick up a knife. But the blood makes it slip from my hands and trying to throw it makes my whole body lurch forward landing on my face. Another canon goes off.
Am I dead
Of course not I can still feel the forest floor on my face.
I sit myself back up shuffling to a tree to support me. Then I see him Cato he lunges at the other boy red snakes swirl out of Peeta's leg. Travelling Somewhere deep into the forest beyond reach.
"Lover boy" I say outlouad but my voice slurs and drifts into the air. Cato hears the sound and hobbles over. The bottom of his eye is swollen shut. He picks me up off the floor. His face contorts like glimmers.
His eyes wander and he looks confused. Looking over the top of my head
"Clove?where are you"

I run. And I don't stop. I don't stop until I see the golden walls of the cornucopia. I see the golden walls of the cornucopia. I'm home . The golden walls of the cornucopia. The words keep repeating. Forgetting what my brain said before.

I can hear screaming I don't know where it's coming from. What if it's Cato. Wheres Cato. His name reply's in my head Cato Cato Cato Cato
I see the flash of orange the same i saw on our first day in the arena. It jumps in weird patterns around our prymid. I reach out to touch it. It's like a pretty little creature. A dancing fox.
That's when the whole world shifts completely my mouth goes dry. My sight goes dark and my ears turn death.

Tracker jackers were genetically engineered. A few stings from these things cause hallucinations so intense it's known to drive people mad. Maybe I'll go mad. Maybe I won't live, but nothing can stop the venom once it's been injected.