Chapter 10- night before/entering the games

The cameras hold on Peeta face whilst me and Cato stare at each other. Unable to take our eyes of each other in mutual understanding . As soon as the Anthem blares we break eye contact and walk off the stage single file. I can see our team waiting for us at the end but I don't want to go back. Not yet. Cato looks at me
"Clove"
Then his grabbing my hand and pulling me through the crowds. We blend in with the people from the captiol, so easily pass through with our heads down. We keep running and running out the city centre through winding crowds untill we stop in a desolate street. Lungs heaving. I throw my head back and laugh. Cato joins in.

"Did we really just do that" I gasp

Cato looks at me in reply. Smiling a genuine smile. The light here is dim and we have no idea of where we are being our first time out of supervision since the reaping . I'm surprised we escaped. There was cameras everywhere and an army of peace keepers.

When we finish laughing about how bizarre this whole situation is. Cato looks into my eyes and I don't look away

"Clove... I love you clove" I wind my arms around his neck. Scared to do anything more than a whisper into his ear

"I think... I think I love you too"

We stay there for a minute completely enveloped in each other untill Cato pushes me back and digs around in his pocket. He fishes out a gold ring and pushes it on to my finger.

"This is a promise... together or not at all"

I whisper the words back "together or not at all... it's beautiful Cato"

"I thought it could be your token... I saw you didn't have one and well I..."

I'd never seen Cato bashful before 'it's perfect' I tell him

He holds my hand closer to my face in the dim light and I realise engraved on the side is a little knife and on the other a sword. Our wepons.

He speaks "Cause your little, fast and deadly like knife , and I'm big and intimidating like a sword" he laughs.

I punch him in the side playfully and he doesn't punch back. We walk round for a bit taking in the beauty of the capitol. Cato lifts me on to his shoulders like a child and runs around. I shout at him to let me down but he just keeps going. I secretly hope he never puts me down. I like the wind running through my hair, I put my hand on my head realising the hard work from the prep team has come undone and my hair flows freely. When he puts me down I rip the frills of the dress disbanding them on the floor which reveals the under layer is the dress I wore to the reaping, I have more respect for Desmond knowing the effort he must of put in. I also kick of my shoes so I'm walking barefoot .When we stop We lay down on the hard concrete staring at the stars, well there isn't any stars. And it's dark enough for there to be stars but the captiol has too much light to see them. Cato has wrapped in arm underneath my head so I'm lying on his bicep.

All of this is fun and all but I can't help but feel this will all break apart in the arena. One of us will kill the other. I don't want to think about that right now I want to think about him. We sit peacefully.

"What the hell are you two doing!?" Brutus' voice cuts through the air

"I found them" he shouts into a little hand held black box

Before I can move his ripping me off Cato and I stumble back into a brick wall falling. He also easily drags Cato up. Which is no easy feat.

"You could have got us killed!" He yells "imagine if they found two of there star tributes missing the night before the games?" Cato opens his mouth but is quickly stopped" No.I don't even want to hear an answer. You two are beyond stupid"