Chapter 8 - the results

I press the button 2 on the elevator with a wide grin spread across my face. As soon as I enter. Cheers erupt from mine and Catos prep team, this is the first time I realise even Catos team have a solid colour scheme, his Desmond equivalent is green. They already assume that I've done great. They're right, I did do great, The 6 of them instantly bombard me with questions. How did it go? How did the game makers react? I tell them what I did. Brutus and Enobaria look over listening as well and nod in approval.

I walk over to Cato and ask what he did. He tells me he threw weights and demonstrated his skill with spears and swords. I expected no different really. The scores represents what potential you show to win. They're what catapult the betting from the audience. Nobody really takes notice of the low scores. But I know we'll score high and nobody has any choice but to bet on us. The scores range from 1 to 12 it's hard to score above and eight. Eights a good score shows you stand a chance.

All the other districts still have their demonstrations to go. The scores won't be televised until after dinner. I can't wait.

Cato and I are now sitting in his bedroom. It's identical to mine. We curl together on top of the duvet.

"Your good at fighting" he begins

"Your not to bad yourself." I laugh back at him thinking back to a few mornings ago. We both roll so we're facing each other. "You stole my move though. I've never seen someone else be able to do it as well as I do"

"What can I say" he shrugs "I noticed you, I saw you use that move startling your component each time. Everyone underestimates you before the first fight. To be fair I didn't expect you to last that long in our spar on the first day of training" the words disappoint me coming for him

"Oh yeah, well now you know to watch your back" I reach over poking him in the spine. We hadn't really had time to talk like this with the unforgiving schedule. We were constantly worrying about how others thought of us. Training was fun though. Watching the other tributes squirm as I threw my knives, or took out trainers triple my size. That was my favourite part. Every single moment here, in the captiol felt like a gift that never stopped giving and soon we'll be in the arena. Where we can bring pride to our district.

"Why are we being nice to each other?" I sigh

"Because we're friends" the word startles me.
We're not friends his just trying to make it harder for me to kill him"

"No we're not, we're Allies" he face deflates somewhat when I say this

"Nah, I don't think you believe that" he looks at me in the eyes and I look away knowing my cheeks flush. And with that he got his answer. I hate myself for showing I'm weak in front of him. But also glad our mutual feeling for each other are out in the open. I think he is glad too.

We stay talking for a while longer. Not really about anything but also about everything at the same time. I realise we're both careful not to give away anything that would make us too venerable in the game. Nimit calls us to dinner, we both pile our plates in celebration of what is to come. Our scores will surely outshine the rest, I'd seen the other competitors in training. We are the best.

We sit round the table it's crowded and cheery with all the prep team here as well. We laugh and discuss what the whole process has been like so far. Desmond mentions my muscles seem refined and I look more desireable and like a strong citizen of two. I stand up and give a twirl. My T-shirt today showed of my arms and didn't cling to my rib cage as it would if i wore this outfit a week ago. A group of whoops from the table. Even the mentors join in, in a moment of being carefree. I'm proud of what I've become during this time and it's all thanks to the captiol. We all Laugh and continue talking about what we think the other tributes will score.

After we've all watched finished a slice of gooey chocolate cake. It was tremendous. We gather in the sitting room with anticipation. I sit between Cato and Desmond.
The Tv flickers on booming panems anthem. We all sit a little straighter in respect for it. Next two capital men, announcers that have been commentating the game for years, appear informing the audience of the what the scores mean, then they got into it. First the introduce Marvel and his picture flashes onto the screen with a 9 beneath it, then glimmer she also gets a 9 these are decent scores. Then Catos picture appears a 10! We all let out a whoop and Brutus claps him on the back. And then my picture appears another flashing 10! Yes we've secured great numbers. Marina also gets a 10. These are great scores our pack is definitely strong. The boy from 4 who we disbanded surprises us. He gets an 8. The rest average out at a 5. District 11 the little girl also surprise us scoring a 7. And of course Thresh get a high score of a 9. Then district 12 comes on, Peeta gets and 8. But katniss gets an 11!

Cato and I raise off the sofa at the same time, fist clenched ready to fight an enemy who is several floors above us. What on earth could she have shown that got her a score that high. People will be betting on her now 'the girl on fire' we both stalk to our rooms slamming the doors. I don't look to see how everybody else reacted to her score. I can't imagine it was good this is the second time she's outshone us.

I pick up a lampshade and throw it at the wall watching it shatter into a thousand pieces, then pick up a row of peferumes letting them splatter in to the wall. The strong aromas mix together creating a strong smell that fogs my head only making me more angry so I walk into the ensuite bathroom. Shutting the door to stop the smell seeping through, then realise it's attached it's self to me. I press random buttons to bind by rage to check what I'm doing and the shower assaults me with jets of hot water, never the less I still step out clean. And not being bothered to mess with the wardrobe I press the first button I see, I end up wearing in a Cato sized T-shirt.

I wonder what they thought of the scores back home. Surely they were all in the square watching. Everything stops for the hunger games. It's like a massive party untill one of the tributes come home and the celebration gets even bigger. I think of Mae and Nessie. They would have loved it here. There probably as angry and I am right now, seeing the girl from 12 get a higher score than me. Everybody at home will be waiting for us to kill her in the arena. And we will. I drift to sleep on this thought

Morning light seeps through the window, I sit up and look at the floor, smashed glass litters one side of my room. I walk over to the wardrobe careful not to step on any of the glass and put on a casual outfit today, the only training will be for the interviews. I walk into the main room knowing that if Nimit barges in like normal I'll only get a lecture. It's still early and I see the avox's setting up the normal breakfast buffet.
Maybe that's why you didn't get a higher score. You were to big to move.
I remember twirling for everybody last night and feel embarrassed, maybe they were cheering out of pity. Nimit emerges out of her room singing to her self and smiles when she sees in already up. She barges into Catos room and by the shouting I can tell he had a similar reaction to mine. She walks out the room red in the face.

Eventually everybody emerges from there rooms .I eat a bowel of berries and black coffee like on the first day on the train. The mood is dull and even Brutus only eats scrambled egg on toast a minuscule amount to his normal Mountain of sausage and bacon. We eat in silence. Nobody wants to talk about last night.