Chapter 21 - the feast

Start from the beginning

It's Katniss. just after flinch has cleared the plain katniss is running right across in the open. I propell myself out the bush quickly pursuing her. I throw my first knife but she must've heard it, she raises a bow deflecting it. Glimmers bow. She turns twords me still sprinting for the table. drawing an arrow aiming at my heart, she releases it. I turn to avoid it but a pain shots through my upper left arm. The pain slows me as I pull the arrow out of my flesh assessing the damage. But I'm determined to bring Cato home and for that she must die. This isn't personal anymore I just want it to be over, but I have to make it seem personal for the audience, without there support we won't win simple as. People who the capitol don't like never win.

Katniss is nearing the table and has already loaded another arrow, but she's distracted picking up her bag. I throw another knife. Not at a kill spot though. I aim it to slow her down. It catches her just above her right eyebrow. Blood instantly comes gushing out of it. She aims another arrow at me but it misses flying a distance to my left. She's stoped but I'm still running at her, I slam into her knocking her on to her back and holding down her shoulders with my knees.
I need to make the next things I say count. I plan to give her a quick death. Maybe cut an artery, but first I need to look like the ruthless girl I was at the start of the games. The girl the capitol has made me into.

"Where's your boyfriend, District twelve? Still hanging on?" I ask

She replies "he's out there now. Hunting Cato" she draws in a breath and screams for Peeta. I jam my fist into her windpipe so she can't call out more and look side to side, surely he can't be here.

He isn't here "liar" I smile "he's nearly dead. Cato knows where he cut him. You've probably got him strapped up in some tree while you try to keep his heart going. What's in the pretty little backpack? That medicine for lover boy? Too bad he'll never get it" the words come to me almost too naturally. It's like all my anger is coming out to play in this scene all of it directed at this girl.

I open my jacket to get out a knife, I can see katniss staring up into my vest seeing the amount of wepons I have. Pure terror in her eyes. I look around my jacket, maybe I'm stalling for time, maybe the sadistic nature of my district is so built into me this is all too natural. She begins struggling against me, but my grip on her is too tight, I think about letting her escape maybe Thresh or Finch will kill her for me. I wipe the thoughts from my head. I'm the girl with the knives ,the killing machine. I need to kill this girl.

"I promised Cato if he let me have you, I'd give the audience a good show"

This only makes her struggle more.

"Forget it, district twelve. We're going to kill you. Just like we did your pathetic little ally"
The words shock me as the come out my mouth. Rue shouldn't even have died she was too young. But I can't stop.
"... what was her name? The one who hopped around in trees?Rue? Well, first Rue, then you, and I think we'll just let nature take care of lover boy. How does that sound?" I ask

I wipe the wound above katniss eye with my jacket sleeve "where to start?"

I tilt her face from side to side, though I'm just giving the audience the show they want, I've already decided to cut the artery in her kneck a quick death. She was only a girl in the games like me. Katniss jolts up her head to try bite my hand but I see it coming so I grab the hair on her head forcing it to ground.

"I think..." I should just let her go and run to Cato, wherever he is but that's not what I say
"I think we'll start with your mouth" I trace the outlines of her lips but I'm careful not to cut them. She stares up at me. I want to look away. Mouth the words sorry, tell her it's not personal. I'm sorry about Rue. But I obviously can't.

"Yes, I don't think you'll have much use for your lips anymore. Want to blow lover boy one last kiss?" I ask

She spits in my face I wipe it off with my clean sleeve which makes me wince because of the arrow hole already made in that arm.
"Alright then let's get started" I hiss

I make a small cut on her lip before closing my eyes
Sorry katniss but it's just the games
I postion my knife to the side of her kneck

But then I'm flying through the air lifted by some great force.

It's Thresh

And he had me inprisioned in his arms a foot off the floor, I scream. I'm completely helpless against him. He picks me up as easy as a rag doll. It's almost as if his got bigger more muscular during the games. He flips me over and flings me on to the ground,

"What'd you do to that little girl? You kill her?" His voice is so loud. I'm scrambling backwards on all fours trying to get away from him.

The words escape my lips "No! No, it wasn't me!"

"You said her name. I heard you. You kill her?" A fresh wave of anger washes over his face "You cut her up like you were going to cut up this girl here?"

"No! No, I -" that's when I see a rock about the size of a small loaf of bread in his hands. This boy is going to kill me. "Cato! Cato!" I screech

I can hear his answer but it sounds far away I can hear him call my name his too far away, Thresh brings the rock down on to my skull. I expect death instantly but I can feel warm blood trickling down my forehead. I'm still alive. I can't control my body it's like no pain but so much pain at once, my chest inhales air like I'm running out. I am running out and groans unwittingly escape my lips. The pain is so strong. He should just finish me off. Let me out of this misery.

Everything seems blurry I can see Thresh shouting at Katniss. and then katniss running away? I see Thresh run as well. I can't move my head but I think his gone in the direction of the grass again carrying both our pack and his pack. Cato should've been by the grass. Why wasn't he there. Did he go after Finch?

Cato kneels beside me
"Clove, no! Clove! Stay with me alright! Stay with me" his voice is so pained. He lifts my head up onto my knees and wipes the blood off my head.
His crying he hugs me tightly leaning over my body.
"Please clove you can't leave me!"