Chapter 23: Drifting Apart

Start from the beginning

Again.

I was about to protest when the doors opened, interrupting our little argument. My eyes landed near the threshold and found the person my heart was aching for. Chase sauntered across the room without greeting anyone. He stopped in front of Rielle. They talked a little and afterwards, he took art materials from the boxes sprawled out on the floor. He started doing his task without even glancing at me. I was hurt but at the same time relieved. I reminded myself that everything was going according to plan. He must forget about me and I needed to do the same.

"What happened to Chase?" Rielle asked as she approached me. "He looked really exhausted. There are large dark circles under his eyes. Is he sleeping enough?"

I swallowed hard. I didn't have an answer to her question. As much as I'd like to know the reason behind his alleged lack of sleep, I couldn't ask him.

"Sacred?" Rielle called. "Is everything alright? You seem off lately. Are you guys fighting?"

"Everything's fine. Let's just focus on our jobs," I said. Rielle and Brenton glanced at each other and I tried not to stare at the back of Chase's head which was harder than I initially thought. "Brent, I need more metallic papers."

"We ran out. But there's more on that table," he said, pointing at his back. I followed his line of vision and found that it was the table occupied by Chase. Oh boy.

"Do you want me to get it for you?" he asked.

"No, I'll get it," I said, walking in that direction. I clenched my fist. One way or another I must face him. I might as well do it now.

When I reached his spot, his head was bent down. He's cutting some materials as well. I cleared my throat. "Hey."

He lifted his head and I was crushed by what I saw. He looked way beyond exhausted. It was like he didn't sleep at all. Was he sick? His eyes were half closed, though they widened a little when he saw it was me.

He stood up and stared at me in the eye. "Sacred."

"Are you alright? Are you sick?" I asked him, worried that he wasn't taking care of himself and I had a feeling it was all my fault. "What happened?"

He chuckled although it didn't reach his eyes. "You left me, remember? I think you lost the right to ask me what's going on in my life."

Ouch. That hurt a lot.

"I know that. I hurt you and I wouldn't be surprised if you hate me now but—"

"You know very well I couldn't hate you," he said, interrupting me.

"I think you should, Chase. You have every right to hate me after what I did but that doesn't mean you should neglect yourself. You lack sleep and it's not right," I said. "Have you eaten yet?"

"It doesn't matter," he said and with his response, I knew he hadn't touched any kind of food today. I closed my eyes and breathed, contemplating all my options. Shaking my head, I grabbed his hand and walked toward the door. "What are you doing?"

I didn't reply. We're not together anymore but I couldn't let him starve to death. We arrived at the cafeteria and I pushed him at the nearest table. "Stay here. Don't move."

Using my student council pass, I ran straight to the lunch lady and ordered the food I wanted to buy without falling in line. The other students glared at me and of course I glared at them in return. I hurried back to Chase and pushed the mountains of food toward his direction.

"Eat," I ordered. He just stared at me. "Do you want me to feed you or are you capable of feeding yourself on your own?"

"Why are you doing this?" he asked.