Mara smiled a little and shook her head. "Do not disappoint me so, Sabrina; I had never thought to hear you despair."

"I'm not there yet. I'm still working on a good panic. Have you got any ideas, Mara? Do Tirqwin and Khediva?"

"Tirqwin says to tell you not to have any dealings with the Reissians under any circumstances."

"Fine with me, but that means surrendering to Homeworld."

"That would mean the end of the Miahn race," Mara said.

"Give me another option, Mara!"

Mara thought for a moment. "If Tirqwin had not forbidden dealing with the Reissians, I would say we should try to bring them and Homeworld to the bargaining table and keep them occupied quarreling over how to divide us while we repair the shield."

"I don't think that's going to work," Sabrina said. "Ask Tirqwin what he thinks Homeworld would do if we threatened to surrender to the Reissians."

Mara let out a giggle. "He most stringently forbids you to attempt it!"

"And who is he to forbid me?" Sabrina demanded angrily, jumping to her feet. "Is he the one who's risked his life tonight, who's seen friends dead and dying, brave fighters resigning themselves to death, a little girl crying because her first ball was ruined—"

"Sabrina!" Mara said, aghast, as her friend burst into tears. She jumped up and threw her arms around Sabrina. "Oh, my friend, we did not mean it that way. You have done the best you could, truly. It is not your fault."

"It is my fault," Sabrina sobbed. "I'm the one in charge. It was my stupid idea to throw a stupid ball. I should have known better!"

"It was a good idea, just bad timing," Mara soothed. "Come now, Sabrina, this is not an efficient use of our very limited time."

"You've spent too much time with Tirqwin," Sabrina accused, stepping back and drying her eyes. "You talk like him now."

Mara grinned. "Purely in self-defense, Sabrina, I promise you!" She sobered. "We cannot surrender. We must turn our thoughts to how to make Dansestari defensible. At least we have some surprise on our side; no one knows I am here."

They both looked at the door as a commotion erupted in the antechamber. A moment later, the door opened and Scotty strode in. "Hey, girls, 'private conference' doesn't exclude me, does it?"

Mara laughed. "Would it make a difference if it did? Well met, Cousin!"

Scotty submitted to an enthusiastic hug, grinning over Mara's shoulder at Sabrina. "Welcome home, Mara."

"Well, not officially," Mara told him, standing back. "Scotty, how is it you have fared so much better than Sabrina?"

He shrugged. "I dunno, but it sure looks like it was her and not me who was in combat tonight. You okay, Rina?"

"More or less," Sabrina said.

"That reminds me," Scotty said to Mara. "Some of the people around here have this crazy idea I'm a Homeworld agent—"

Mara burst into peals of helpless laughter. "I heard about your ill-advised excursion. Oh, Scotty, Tirqwin has been rehearsing such a scold for you! I should scold you too."

"Clear me first," he said.

"No," Sabrina said. "We haven't got time for this now. Later, Scotty."

"Mara," Scotty pleaded.

"I am sorry, Scotty, but Sabrina is still Regent, and thus your commander. It will be my first priority when we have secured Dansestari again, I promise." Mara cocked her head, listening to something. "Khediva is secured in a gaseous nebula that will hide her from sensors. Tirqwin wishes to come here to consult with us."