Chapter 16.2

Two of their reinforcements went with them to Control, to guard them; the others went in pursuit of the rest of the Reissians. Rayland lost consciousness early in the journey; no longer afraid of hurting him, they quickened their pace to a jog. They would get to the infirmary on time, Sabrina thought; they had to. This was a wonderfully advanced society. Even this alarming amount of blood loss was curable. It had to be. It just had to be.

They stumbled up the stairs into the severe metallic corridors of Control. Darice shouted at a lieutenant they ran across in the hall; he took one look and went sprinting back the way he'd come, yelling orders. Soon they had people all around them, and Rayland was being lifted out of Sabrina's grip. She protested to no avail, dodging around them to follow the float pallet down the corridor. She felt a desperate need to touch him, to hold on to him so he wouldn't slip away from her while they were separated. She wanted to will him to live, to pour her strength into him.

The medtechs pushed her aside, ignoring her rank in their rush and alarm. She stood as close as she could, her hands pressed to her mouth, trying to stop the tears sliding down her cheeks.

Mukryilla tore into the room, skidding a little. The medtechs drew aside a little for her; she looked as though she would have thrown them bodily out of her way otherwise. "Commander!" she cried in horror. She looked around and saw Sabrina. "My lady, how—"

"A Reissian. With a knife," Sabrina managed to choke. "He's—he's going to live. He's going to be all right. Isn't he?"

The medtechs were murmuring about heart muscle damage and failing circulation. Sabrina pushed through them, facing Mukryilla across Rayland's pale form. "Subcommander!"

Mukryilla looked up. Her green eyes were swimming with unshed tears.

"No!" Sabrina wailed. She bent forward, collapsing against the bed's guard rail. "No! He can't go! Don't let him go!"

"My lady," one of the medtechs said, taking her shoulders and trying to lift her.

"Let me go!" Sabrina howled. "Save him!"

"My lady, the damage—his body's so old, it's been through so much, it—"

"No! No! Do something!" She turned back to Rayland and put her hand on his cool cheek. "Father, wake up. Father, you've got to live! Don't leave me! Oh, God! Don't leave me!"

Rayland's eyelids fluttered for a moment. Sabrina caught her breath in agonized hope. "Father! Can you hear me? Father, it's Sabrina. You're in Control. You're going to be all right. Father?"

Slowly, painfully, Rayland opened his eyes. He met Sabrina's wild, teary gaze; she grabbed his hand and held it tightly. His gaze turned to Mukryilla. She took his other hand and said, very softly, "Yes, sir," as if in response to some unspoken command.

Rayland's bright blue eyes, dimming now, found Sabrina again. His lips trembled as he tried to speak. "It's all right, don't talk now," Sabrina urged.

His hand pressed hers weakly. With effort, he managed to get his breath, speaking so softly that she had to lean forward to hear him. "Daughter..."

"Don't. Save your strength," Sabrina begged.

"Blessing...." he whispered.

"Father, please, you have to get well. You can't leave me!"

His eyes slid shut, and she felt his hand go limp in her grasp. For a moment she thought he had passed out. Then the medtechs moved away, and she realized that he was dead. Mukryilla pressed the lifeless hand she held to her lips, then gently laid it on his chest.