Chapter 23.3

Two days later, they made planetfall at Pharo. They entered the solar system in the middle of Sabrina's night, and it took her some time to get into the outfit chosen for the occasion: a Praxatillian uniform all in white without insignia, a scarlet and gold sash proclaiming her status as the Queen's representative. Darice was in full dress uniform, and Tassan joined them shortly afterward in a crisp civilian suit of royal blue.

By the time they got to the bridge, the ship was edging into orbit beside the Lthosyenne ship Wisdom's Heart. It had been arranged for the Lthosyennes to arrive first to guarantee that neither of the others took advantage of an early arrival. While the three ships made various communications aimed at putting them on the same schedule and establishing orbital slots, Sabrina, Tassan, and Darice got into a shuttle and went aboard the Lthosyenne ship.

"Haaron!" Sabrina exclaimed, her face lighting up as she came through the airlock to find her old friend there. She threw her arms around him. "I am so glad to see you!"

"It's good to see you too, Sabrina," Haaron smiled as she stepped back. "The Ambassador graciously allowed me to come down and escort you to the captain's office. I told them you wouldn't care for any welcoming ceremony at the airlock."

"And you were perfectly right." Sabrina stepped aside for a moment so he could greet Tassan and Darice, then said, "You must tell me all about Éllina. How is she?"

"She sends you affectionate greetings and assurance that she is well. Have you been aboard Khediva? How are she and Tirqwin holding up?"

"I think they're relieved it's finally going to be over with, one way or another," Sabrina said. "Tirqwin wasn't sure if you'd want him to come aboard, but he doesn't particularly want to leave Khediva."

"I thought he would feel that way. We don't expect him; the captain will understand. You'll like her."

They were still making small talk with Captain Irise, Ambassador Olviron, and the Venerable Laron Jaisen, the neurological expert who would serve as the observer, when the Sentinel made orbit. Shortly afterward, High Tirqwin Asnefer and Lady Chavadanafra joined them, along with their neurological expert, a slight man with Wayfarer grey eyes who was introduced as Bastureftu.

"I note," Captain Irise said, "that we are all at different points in our sleep cycle; shall we set another time for the examination of Wayship Khediva and her Tirqwin so that we may be more rested, or do you wish to proceed?"

"Let's get it over with," Sabrina said.

Asnefer said, "I see no reason to wait. We have all come a long way, and we should not linger in this area."

"Very well then," Captain Irise said. "Your shuttle is prepared."

Asnefer, Chavadanafra, and Bastureftu filed out; Jaisen followed. Sabrina thanked Ambassador Olviron again for his work in bringing the meeting about; then she turned to Haaron.

"I was hoping you might allow me the place of one of your guards," he confided anxiously.

"No," Sabrina said gently. "Not because I am afraid for myself, but because I want to know you are safe. If anything happens I want you here, able to tell Mara what happened."

He sighed. "I was afraid you would say that. Give my best to Khediva and Tirqwin. And good luck."

"Take care, Haaron, until we meet again," Sabrina replied, smiling fondly at him as she turned to go.

They boarded the shuttle with little fuss and were soon on their way over to Khediva. Sabrina wished that the Pharon crystal didn't make Khediva's mode of transport unreliable; she rarely had to endure shuttle rides and was realizing she had been spoiled by Khediva and Mara.