Chapter 6.2

The meeting lasted just over three hours, with each of the thirteen members giving a short biographical sketch and a history of their province. Sabrina found it enormously instructive, and she asked Joara to gather them all on a data crystal for her future reference. As she and Haaron left with Aliza and Darice in tow, she said, "I think that went well. It helps to know what the provinces are like; they each have their own priorities and problems."

"I hoped you would be pleased," Haaron said.

"I am, very much. You did an excellent job. We'll meet weekly, I think, if we can."

"I'll coordinate the schedule with Secretary Sansfir."

"Wonderful. Haaron, I can't tell you how I appreciate this." They walked on for a bit; then Sabrina said, "Have you spent much time with them yet?"

"Some of them, yes. Citizen Narendra and I, for instance, spent quite a bit of time talking about today's meeting."

"Can you tell me what's with Tassan Nikolar?"

Haaron grimaced. "I gather he had a hard time during the war. But then so did we all. I rather suspect he is not as bad as he seems. He is an artist, you know, and they often adopt personas."

"An artist? How did I miss that?" Sabrina exclaimed.

"Easily. He did not mention it in his presentation. But he already has some fame as a painter. I think he is not pleased to be here; he would rather be off painting. But he has extensive knowledge of all parts of Zarn, since he worked as aide to the Steward there during the later part of the war. Before that, he was with the local militia, hitting Xoentrol encampments there and preventing them from settling any permanent base in Zarn."

"I would like to see some of his work," Sabrina mused. "I have a friend who's a painter at home. Kath always says you can tell everything about an artist by looking at his work, if you know what to look for."

Haaron smiled a little. "I shall try to obtain some samples for you. I do not think you will have any problems with the Citizens Council, Sabrina. There are no precedents for them to stand on, and most of them are flattered and excited to be here."

"Yes, I noticed that Naora Aorvin seemed like a real go-getter. We need that around here."

"I think they are a good mix."

Sabrina nodded as they reached her rooms. "I just have a few minutes before I have to get ready for a meeting with Rassir. Come in and chat. I haven't heard from Éllina lately; I assume everything's okay?"

"Yes, just fine. She is in Zhyaère today, meeting with the stewards of the wards' estates there. She's been quite busy, but I think she enjoys the work," Haaron said.

"Good. Oh!" Sabrina stopped short as she saw the piles of crates in her living room. "What on Earth? Izana!"

The maid hurried in, looking relieved. "My lady, these arrived while you were gone. There's a coded message accompanying the shipment; here it is."

Sabrina took the thin slip of plastic in her hand, and it responded to her touch by flickering to life, English words scrolling across its surface. She grinned. "It's from Mara and Tirqwin! They said they were sending me a present. Oh, let's open them, quickly! I can't wait to see what it all is."

"You've heard from them?" Haaron asked.

"Yes, last night, a quick message to congratulate me on the speech. They looked like they were having a wonderfully relaxed time," Sabrina said. "I'm glad. Oh!"

She had opened the first crate to reveal stacks of beautifully bound books, their rich, dark leather covers and gold lettering standing out from the plain, bland plastic of the crate. "Jane Austen!" she exclaimed. "To think that Mara remembered...."

She blinked away sudden tears as Haaron, opening another crate, said, "What are these, Sabrina?"

"Let me see. Oh!" She knelt beside the crate and reached out a finger to touch the delicate plant. "Rosebushes! How did they know?"

"There must be a dozen of them," Izana said. She, Aliza, and Darice had opened several more crates, all full of books and rosebushes.

Sabrina went from one to the other, reading the tags on the plants and turning the books over in her hands reverently. All her favorite authors were there, along with a sprinkling of biographies (she wondered if the one of Queen Elizabeth was a hint of some kind) and history books. She burst into laughter as she spotted Machiavelli's The Prince among them. The rosebushes were likewise varied, from rich red and pale white to more exotic hybrids, including a silver tea rosebush that made her catch her breath at its beauty.

"I'm going to need somewhere sunny to put these," Sabrina said. "These rooms won't do; they don't get much sun."

"I'll find somewhere for you," Aliza volunteered. "Oh, my lady, they're so beautiful. Are they common on Earth?"

"Fairly."

"How lucky you are! We have so few blooming plants left here," Aliza said. "They say that before the war, the palace was so fragrant with blooms that no one wore perfume."

Sabrina had noticed that the palace gardens were a bit monotone. "Why did they all die off?"

"The Xoentrols released a chemical into our atmosphere at the beginning, before we realized they were our enemies. It killed much of our plant life and some of our animal species as well. It has taken decades to fully restore the biosphere, but some things never did come back," Darice said.

"These are a precious gift indeed," Haaron said, gazing at a bush laden with bright yellow roses.

As Sabrina watched the Praxatillians marvel at the roses, an idea came to her. It cost her a pang, but she said, "Aliza, I want you to crate the silver rosebush back up."

"Why?" Aliza exclaimed, astonished.

"I'm going to give it as a gift. Hang on a minute while I write a quick note." She hurried into her study, ignoring the general exclamations behind her. She hesitated over the note for a few minutes, choosing old-fashioned paper and pen and scribbling, "I regret that we are not better friends, and hope that we can become so." She signed her full Miahn name with a flourish, folded the note, and went back into the living room to hand it to Aliza.

"Take this to Lady Imari. Get a footman to help you with the crate," she instructed.

Aliza gaped at her, then hurried to obey. Haaron said, "That is a very noble gesture, Sabrina. That was the most beautiful one."

"Well," Sabrina said, "I can always get another from Earth, can't I?"

Haaron smiled at her, as if to say that he knew perfectly well how much she had wanted to keep it no matter what she said. Izana said, "I think it's beautiful. You are giving her a living thing in return for her memory of the dead."

Haaron looked puzzled, and Sabrina said, "I'll explain later. For now, help me with these books! I've hated how empty the shelves in here are."

"Don't you want them in your study?" he asked.

"No, that's for work, and it's full. I want these in here, where I'll come to relax." She looked around the room, grinning. "Well, Mara promised me my heart's desire."

"And this is it?" Haaron said incredulously.

"Well, it's a start!"