Chapter 25.1

Oria offered to come to Praxatillus, and Mara brought her over immediately and introduced her to the two Wayfarers. Sabrina felt she was watching a historic occasion as the Deltarran Chief Councillor, the Guardian, and two high-ranking Wayfarers worked on a mutual problem.

"We must ask for a volunteer," Oria said finally. "It must be someone who understands that they may never be allowed to come home again—though I do think there is a slim chance that they may be able to shed the baleful influence over time, if isolated from all crystal. Whoever travels with them will also have to undergo a sort of quarantine."

"We will choose non-sensitives for that," Mara said.

"Me!" Scotty and Sabrina chorused instantly.

"The Tirqwin will also need to be decontaminated," Asnefer said.

Chavadanafra said, "Yes. And in the meantime Khediva can be fitted with a new processor and scanned to be sure no trace of the conditioning remains."

Asnefer turned to Mara. "We have finished downloading her logs. Before we attempt this, I would like to send them to Homeworld, along with the Tirqwin's mindscan."

"Certainly," Mara said. "We want you to learn the truth. We have enough problems without fighting with each other over a misunderstanding."

"With your permission, then," Asnefer said, including both Mara and Chavadanafra in her look, "Shahina and I will take Bastureftu and the records to Homeworld and begin processing them."

"Won't we need you here?" Sabrina asked.

"Lady Chavadanafra has worked for centuries building and testing crystal matrices," Asnefer replied. "She will be of far more use to you than I. And I would like to get Shahina away from here before you begin experimenting."

"We won't be doing it here," Mara said.

"You won't be doing it anywhere," Sabrina reminded her.

"And, if you agree, I will take Khediva in tow and begin her repairs."

Mara hesitated. "I am not sure I can agree to that. What guarantee do I have that you will bring her back?"

Chavadanafra said, "I will stand surety for that. I pledge you the word of my House that we will return Khediva once the Tirqwin is retrieved—unless we discover from our scans that you have been holding them against their will."

Mara bit her lip. "On condition that the Lthosyenne observer accompany you and participate in the processing, to verify any evidence you may claim to find."

"Agreed," Chavadanafra said. She looked at Asnefer. "Tell my House what I have pledged. See that my word is honored. I have given myself as a willing hostage until Wayship Khediva is returned."

"Yes, my lady," Asnefer said, bowing. "Shall I have the Sentinel recalled?"

"Yes," Chavadanafra said. "It can do no good in Pharon space now."

Mara said, "I have already recalled the Eye of Miah and notified Lthos that we have no more need of their ship."

"Then it appears our agreement is fulfilled," Asnefer said, with a glimmer of dark humor.

"And we embark on another," Chavadanafra added. "Good journey, High Tirqwin Asnefer."

Asnefer nodded and vanished. Oria said, "First we must determine how we will go about collecting some Pharon crystal. Then we must decide on a safe place to experiment with it."

Sabrina said, "I'll go. I'm not crystal sensitive, so it shouldn't affect me, and I know enough about crystal to know what I'm looking for."

Mara shook her head. "Sabrina, contact with a small piece of Pharon crystal might not influence or contaminate you, but going to the surface of Pharo certainly would. No, I would prefer to send a robotic device."