chapter twenty-six

Start from the beginning

I panicked, given that we are in fact in transportation leaving Scotland.

"It hasn't even been twenty-four hours, Tom."

"The ministry was prepared. This was easily predicted." He spoke as he took in a deep breath. "Try to cover up as much as possible. They will search our compartment, soon."

"Cover-up as much as possible?" I scoffed. "We need to use magic, I don't know how else we're going to disguise ourselves. Didn't you come prepared?"

His eyes shifted elsewhere, as he worked his jaw with concentration smitten in his features. Suddenly, it seemed everything went quiet.

The only sound that buzzed through my ears was the low growl of the train's wheels colliding with the track. My lips parted as I waited for Tom's grand plan— that seemingly never came. He breathed in a sharp breath.

"Say something!" I whisper-shouted.

"Quiet. I cannot focus, with your pointless bickering!" he snapped with an icy glare, as his fists collided with the seat.

I groaned. "I hate you. I'll pitch myself off a tower before I ever spend a night alone with you!"

"Be quiet." He seethed.

"Make me." I challenged, and his eyes twinkled with determination.

He leaned over, putting his cold hands over my mouth. I shoved him back into his seat, toppling over him, by complete accident. I owned it, though.

"You're pathetic." I provoked.

His eyes grew wide with anger, and his jaw clenched in temptation. Our chests heaved and our shoulders rolled.

"How dare you speak to your lord in such a way." He scowled, in such a way that almost made me believe it had sexual undertones hidden behind it.

It made me take a step back, mentally.

I straddled his hips as he fumed, reaching for his wand. As he was about to hex me, our compartment door flew open.

The both of us stopped our impetuous, angry, actions at once, our eyes flying open in horror. However, just as fast as the door had opened, it had also slammed shut, followed suit by a timid and embarrassed voice.

"I am terribly sorry. I did not mean to walk in on—" the train conductor's muffled concerns from behind the compartment door came to an abrupt halt, followed by the heavy tap of his shoes waddling away in sheer embarrassment.

His mismatched steps as he hightailed away was a comfort to me.

As we froze in our position, we exchanged confused glances. I could see the thoughts pop in and out of his head, as his eyes lit up with the idea of each thought.

Then, one thought in particular that we both shared, almost made me burst out in uncontrollable laughter, but I bit my tongue with a sharp glare. As soon as the thought entered his mind, he knocked me off him, pushing me away.

He quickly squabbled back to his seat, his chest heaving as he trifled to catch his breath.

I can only imagine what the train conductor must've thought— finding the two of us on top of each other. Thank god for our hatred for each other, it's saved us. Had I not been tackling him, I'm not sure we would be safe from the eyes of the ministry.

I stared up at him, doe-eyed.

"You stupid girl." He growled.

I struggled to stand, propping myself up onto the soft cushion of the seat. Just then, his features softened. His mouth opened to speak.