chapter sixteen

duel;

I woke up in the astronomy tower, to my surprise alone. Tom was gone. Had I only dreamt that Tom shared a blanket with me, or had he ditched me?

Waking up after such misery was a beautiful bliss—I've never felt more relieved.

The fresh and crisp air hit my face whilst the sun-kissed it softly, and I realized how late it was. Eight-thirty in the morning. I made my way to my dorm and realized nobody was there.

They must be in class already.

I soon realized that the mourning period Headmaster Dippet had given us was over. I panicked, running around the dorm room like a deranged psychopath. After brushing my teeth, I quickly rummaged through the room for my robes and found them. I threw them on with speed and flew out the door.

My feet carried me too fast, and I barged through into our physical activity class and felt everyone's eyes instantly cling to me.

"Miss Kane, you're late. Thirty points from Slytherin." our professor mumbled quietly with an unwitting frown.

Everyone in Slytherin including Tom glared over at me and groaned in annoyance. I felt like a burden all over again.

"Move forward. Everyone pick your partner and duel on my word." our professor announced.

of coursenobody would dare to pick Tom Riddle.

Everyone scurried away quickly, consulting with friends or picking randoms. I only stood there awkwardly, what was I to do? I looked around innocently and soon found that only me and Tom stood without partners. This always happens.

I inhaled deeply, my chest becoming heavy. I'm not afraid of you, I thought as I strode towards him with false pride. I was in fact terrified of him.

"I have the devil's luck, don't I?" I said, trying to hide the unnerving creaks in my voice.

"Hm." he hummed nonchalantly, giving me the impression he was uninterested.

Seemingly, he wasn't as witty or sinister as he usually was. It only intimidated me more that he was so calm.

"Well," I stumbled on my words, thinking about something snide to say, "This is your fault!"

I finally got his attention, as his eyes lingered towards me. "What's my fault?"

"This—" I gestured between us, and Tom's delayed response only made me believe he was jaded.

"This is your fault, not mine. I'm clearly not in the mood for your jest today," he chastised.

He wasn't being playful enough. "Well, It's not my fault you're like, obsessed with me or something."

He fully turned to face me, and I could tell I was beginning to vex him. He spoke slowly as his grey eyes bore into my skin. "Don't worry, miss Kane, I'll go easy on you. If that's what you're so worried about."

"I doubt that." I grin, with challenge amidst the air.

I was determined.

I had the sudden sensation of being watched, and I saw the looks on everyone's faces as they watched me. Some looked like they were already mourning my death—they feared Tom too much. Grim frowns and sly grins, they were all watching me. Some even grimaced at my courage.