chapter seventeen

partners in crime;

I peered over at Tom, who was in a deep slumber. Although, I had a sneaking suspicion that he was faking sleeping. He usually doesn't sleep this heavily.

"Tom," I whispered to him.

No response.

I watched him, deep in thought. I genuinely wanted his friendship, and I didn't know why. Even though he treated me poorly, I had gotten so attached to him over the recent time we'd spent together. Were these the charms everyone was talking about? The charms that I used to be so immune to?

His eyes finally peeled open, and I couldn't tell if he was genuinely sleeping or not. It was difficult to tell. I was the first thing he saw as he opened his eyes.

"Watching me sleep?" he said, as he sat up in bed. I couldn't tell if he was being serious.

"What are you doing here?" I ignored him; my suspicions rising. He was definitely planning something, why else would I find him in my bed?

"Miss Kane—"

"—don't you ever do that again, do you understand me? you will never so much as look in my direction without my permission. If you do, you will pay greatly for it." I hissed, turning my back on him as I began to storm out.

"What exactly are you suggesting?" he stood out of bed, standing tall.

I turned to face him once again.

"Just—I—" I stammered.

He didn't say a word, only staring at me. I decided I didn't have time for his manipulation tactics.

"Klausner. We need to get to the great hall." I said quick-paced, changing the subject.

"Headmaster Dippet has no reason to suspect you." He told me, alarmingly calm. "However, it is best we show up. We don't want them to have suspicions."

I nodded my head.

"Come now." his hand reached for mine, clutching it in his own. He tugged on me aggressively, dragging me away and leading me towards the great hall. His hands were usually icy cold, but this time, they were so warm. I smiled at his warmth as we neared the entrance of the great hall.

We made it just in time, as Headmaster Dippet was explaining the circumstances.

He paused just before Headmaster Dippet began to speak, and began in a hushed whisper. "And, Elizabeth, you should know, I would never do anything to hurt you."

Do I trust him?

I hadn't had time to open my mouth or even think before Headmaster Dippet began to speak.

"Klausner Blacksmith has been missing for over twenty-four hours. Klaus has been known to be a very mischievous child, though, and we can only assume he's run away—" he explained, inhaling a deep breath. "—It's not safe to cross out all possibilities, but for now, we have no reason to believe that Klausner is in any extreme danger. Hogwarts is at threat of being closed down, so we ask that you take some time off classes. Please head back to your dormitories." Dippet said cooly, and the room instantly filled with whispers and chatter.

Me and Tom exchanged hushed glances, side-eyeing each other through the whole thing. The guilt of knowing something that everyone else didn't was addictive, painful, and a guilty pleasure.

-

I suddenly jolt awake and rip my wand out of my pocket. Every crevice of my dorm is drowned in darkness, and everything just looks like black spots and white snow.