chapter thirteen

mourn;

At first, I tried my hardest to convince myself that he was going to be okay. That he was alive, and only hurt.

But he was already gone. How naive I was, he had already stopped breathing, and his frail heart had already given up on beating.

Everything feels surreal, am I in a dream?

Is this reality tainted, or is it the unfortunate fate that my life has fallen into?

The ministry of magic has taken Abraxas' body and forbidden anyone from its visuals. No one can seem to figure out why, but I don't need to see it again.

His pale, lifeless face, is all I have in my thoughts. Its after-image has been engraved into the back of my skull, I can't seem to forget the bitterness of it all. That look he gave me as he realized we were going to depart, and never see each other in this lifetime again.

His parted lips, lifeless eyes that were focused on something in the distance, waning breaths, were the very image of him that was always lurking in the back of my thoughts. It was a curse I couldn't be rid of.

He never could take the right things seriously, he took his last breaths with a grin nooked in the corners of his mouth.

Along with the guilt I carried on my shoulders, I could barely take it. The dwelling guilt I had for not doing more to help, and the guilt of Katherine.

Abraxas was her brother. Her brother.

Although my terrible and nonexistent relationship with my brother, I know that we aren't the same people. I know how horrid it's going to be for her.

I don't know how to let go. Does it ever get better? I can't live with these chains of guilt and shame anymore.

The pain doesn't feel mental anymore, it feels physical. It's in my eyes, in my chest, in my thin body. The ache of heartbreak is all over me, there's just an empty hole in my chest where my heart used to be.

My drought and sore eyes peeled open slowly, waiting for headmaster Dippet to speak. I wanted to cry, but I physically couldn't anymore. My throat was dry, my eyes were sore, and my head was ready to combust.

Headmaster Dippet swallowed thickly, a knot in his throat as he glared at all the curious and eager people who sat before him.

He frowned as he spoke calmly, "As you all may know, A tragic incident has occurred." He paused, listening to all the whispers that filled the room, "Abraxas Malfoy was a bright and welcoming young man, whose time with us was cut short too early. He aspired to be an Auror, and always wanted to make the wizarding world a better place. The details of his passing have been decided to keep private by his family, and we ask that you respect that. Abraxas Malfoy's passing-"

a ghastly wail ruptured from the corner of the wide room, making heads turn. The wailing continued, only quieter, as it echoed almost whimsically across the whole room. It gave me goosebumps.

Headmaster Dippet coughed loudly before continuing, "will not be in vain. We understand that with this tragic incident, we all must take time to mourn. Classes will be held until further notice."