chapter twenty-six

manhunt;

[mature themes]

It was quite cozy inside the train compartment. It reminded me of home— the Hogwarts express. That's what it reminded me of. Tom and I sat across from one another, in our little abode, in complete and utter silence. I stared mindlessly out a window, while Tom kept his head buried in the pages of whatever book he was fixated on now.

We didn't have much other to do to bide our time. Every now and then I'd take a quick peek at Tom, to only find the neatly styled curls of his head peaking out from behind the book and nothing more.

I tried to read the cover, but I was afraid that he would catch me staring at him, and I didn't want to creep him out.

Perhaps I should just ask him what he's reading like a normal person.

"What do you need?" he uttered bluntly, not taking his eyes off the book he held in between his fingertips.

I guess I stared too long.

He lowered the book just enough for his eyes to peek out, as he stared at me with a narrow glare. I chewed on my bottom lip as he inspected me. I now felt embarrassed.

"I just wanted to know what book you're reading," I expressed, truthfully. "I mean, you're always reading something. I'd like to know what has your attention."

"Why would you want to know what has my attention?" He asked, as he fully tore the book away from his view and placed it on his lap.

"What? I—" I stammered. "No, I meant, I just want to know what book you're reading."

Great. Now he probably thinks I'm fawning over him. Which, I am, but he shouldn't have to know that.

"It's just a spellbook," he said as he held the book up so I could read the cover.

"Don't be so cocky, Tom." I cooed.

Something akin to a smirk almost held his features, as he returned to reading the presumed spellbook once more. I then retreated to my rightful place as well, turning my gaze to the outside world as I watched it flash by me. Every now and then, out of the corner of my eye, I'd catch Tom glaring at me when he thought I wasn't paying attention.

It was hard to keep the flattered grin off my face.

I'd never thought that this would be my future. Running away with my greatest enemy as we spared one another sly glances and soft smiles.

Though I've been grieving, I've learned to romanticize the tragedies of my life. My life doesn't have to be a tragedy. It doesn't have to be a waste.

As my lips parted to speak, Tom quieted me. My ears began to fill with the muffled and crazed ramblings of the train conductor.

Tom leaned in close as we tried to decipher the words we couldn't quite make out. His features were stricken with concentration, as his lip curled and his brows knitted.

I couldn't hear anything, but it seemed like Tom could as he was listening in very closely. I relied solely on his judgment. Suddenly, his face became stone-cold serious.

His posture straightened, and his teeth met his bottom lip. He eyed me with a frantic look before he took me by the shoulders.

"There's been a manhunt put in place to find us by the ministry. They're after us, Elizabeth. They're relentless. Soon, they should start sending their Aurors after us. There's a bounty on our heads." he explained. "They're searching every transportation leaving Scotland."