chapter nineteen

enemies;

I woke up to a pounding headache and the rough texture of the carpet beneath me. I was in the Slytherin common room. Memories flooded my mind of the night beforehand.

Drinking, dancing, kissing, arguing, trashing the girl's bathroom, crying, and...

blacking out, I guess.

I stumbled my way into our dormitory and propped myself onto the bed sloppily. I've surely missed two classes by now, haven't I?

I ran a hand through my hair, knowing that my parents would soon receive a howler about my lack of attendance. I dreaded seeing them again, and the punishment that would follow.

I applied multiple layers of concealer to cover my heavy eye bags and my sickly face that was painted with a hangover. I eyed myself in the mirror, smiling because I felt pretty for once. I then strutted into potions, announcing my presence to my fellow classmates with a grin.

"Miss Kane, you're late." Professor Slughorn explained, a tired frown on his pale face.

I panicked under the pressure, my old anxious self resurfacing. I bit the inside of my cheek, inspecting the classroom while trying to come up with an excuse.

I began to choke up with fake tears, wiping them away dramatically as I wailed, "I'm so sorry professor, I've just been so saddened since Abraxas. You know I'm one of your star students, but times are so hard,"

"No, No. Please do not worry at all, I understand! Take a seat." The oblivious and easily manipulated Professor cheered.

My successful manipulation of the professor uplifted my confidence, and I grinned at him with joy. I simply couldn't believe how I'd gotten away with it. It was too easy. However, I grimaced at how easy the manipulation came to me, and how I hadn't even felt a pang of guilt for it. I promptly sat down at my table and peered to my side - to find an unamused Tom Riddle. He sat a row across from me. He didn't dare make eye contact with me.

Or at least, that's what it felt like.

"Alright everyone," he paused with a soft smile, "Pick your partner," Slughorn exclaimed cheerfully.

I frowned. There weren't many comfortable options available to me.

"Hello!" I quietly shouted in a lower tone, to the ginger girl in front of me, tapping her on the shoulder. She turned, and my face twisted in disbelief.

It was Kiara. There wasn't a way I would ever be her partner for our project after what she'd done. Her eyes lit up as she watched the surprise on my face flash before her. I quickly turned away from her in embarrassment, and soon found that there was no one else to be paired with.

I didn't know anyone else in the class except Tom Riddle, and there wasn't a universe in the world that I would ever willingly pick him. I'd rather be paired with professor Slughorn and spare myself the conflict between me and Tom.

"Elizabeth with Tom, My two favorites!" Slughorn cheered loudly, oblivious of our feud.

My eyes slowly averted to Tom, and he remained seated, only blindly flipping through the stained pages of a worn book.