chapter six

the calm before the storm;

"Don't you find it odd that Tom Riddle wants to meet us? didn't he make rumors up about you? You cannot just forgive that." Kiara's sweet voice chirped as she braised a suggestive look towards me.

I sighed, "I haven't forgotten."

"I wouldn't trust him after what he's done. But you can use him to your advantage." Kiara explained, raising her brow.

"Advantage. How?" I became more intrigued by the second. I was eager to hear Kiara's grand idea of how I could possibly take advantage of Tom Riddle; how he did me.

She tilted her head curiously, "You're rather eager to get back at him? you've changed."

She smiled sheepishly, and in my head, I imagined she was only joyous for me that I was finally standing up for myself. But, something that she didn't realize was that I wasn't changing for the better.

no one knew it then, but Tom Riddle was slowly turning me into the devil himself.

"Kiara, don't encourage this behavior." Her brows were furrowed and her lip was curled. "Elizabeth, leave Tom alone. This isn't you." Katherine scolded the two of us as if we were children behaving mischievously.

Usually, Kiara was the metaphorical mother of our group. She kept us grounded, kept our heads out of the clouds, and always protected us from stupid decisions.

"Thanks for noticing! and I thought you were the dumb one, Kathy," I spoke too quickly without thinking about the words I hurled to the two befuddled girls, who sat arm's length from me.

I struggled to contain my composure as regret instantly wrenched my heart in its consuming and hectic properties. The atmosphere of the room shifted from one of prosperity and friendship; to my most dire regret.

Their mouths fell open in shock, they never expected words like those to escape my thin lips. It was the worst thing I'd ever said to them, but we weren't twelve anymore. We needed to be mature. They were left speechless, and I felt ridiculous. I wasn't sorry. my words weren't even that bad.

"I need to get to class." I bit the inside of my cheek, and I felt like the biggest jerk on planet earth. I stood up, exchanging one last seance with the both of them before practically running to class.

I peered my head around the classroom doorway, in an attempt at a subtle and unnoticeable entrance.

I already had enough attention on me.

Unfortunately for me; almost the entire classroom was burdened with desperate boredom as they were searching for anything else to focus their wearing and thin attention on. I made a slight motion, and the slightest sound of wood creaking was enough to encapture everyone's attention as their heads turned to face me.

I gave a terribly delayed reaction, in which I sprained my body backward and my back was now against the wall. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly, hoping that it was all a bad dream.

"Miss Kane."

a sudden familiar voice allured my name—it was Tom.

I cleared my throat, inevitably backing away from the wall I was so tightly propped up against.

I frowned, stepping into the classroom with caution. I stood awkwardly, my arms left at my side. As I thought it'd be—whispers and chatter drowned the room in its scandalous atmosphere. I didn't know what else to do except stand stagnant and take the punishment that Tom had so wrongfully given me.

"Come here." he was soft-spoken. The sound of his voice was enough to shut all of the gossip up.

I felt like I was on the red carpet; every pair of eyes were on me as I took long and strained steps.

"Sit," he demanded.

"There aren't any seats." I blinked in confusion, my eyes searing around the room.

Tom opened his mouth to speak as if he were ready to correct me with pride but came to an abrupt halt as he glanced over at his side and saw that a boy with caramel hair and spotted freckles had taken the seat he had planned to save for me. I watched as he eyed the boy in anger.

The boy appeared strikingly similar to someone I'd seen before; his name was on the tip of my tongue. His light and dim freckles, caramel-colored curly hair, and cute button nose. I couldn't remember who he had reminded me of, my mind kept pushing the thought away for no apparent reason. I could only remember who the boy actually was, not who he made me think of.

His name was Alecto Carrow, he was one of Tom's boys.

Even after Tom was visibly shaken with fury; Alecto still didn't seem to take the hint and notice though, because he remained seated. He began to look around the room as if he were brain dead, almost as if he were mocking Tom. Though it was hard to tell if he was just dumb and unfairly oblivious or if he was condescending and sly.

I could tell Tom was beginning to lose his patience. He cleared his throat loudly and dramatically, his way of saying;

"take a hint."

Once more, Alecto still hadn't noticed. Tom's eyes widened in anger and his body visibly stiffened. I could tell that he was at his wit's end.

I could hear whispered scolding, and I zoned out. Thinking about anything else. Only because that's what I did when my parents argued every night.

"Kane."

"Kane."

"Kane?" he spoke. He had lost his patience with me, and I hadn't realized how many times he had called out my name.

And when I did finally come to the sudden realization, I frightened myself so much that I flew backward. I was too slow to catch myself, and I physically landed on a steady surface. Mentally, my mind landed in a place that I never imagined I'd find myself whilst in the presence of Tom.

"what are you-" he paused, and I once again had a moment of clarity.

I was sitting on Tom Riddle's lap.

I felt his body become completely stiff, as he quickly pulled himself to stand up. But, my weight kept him pinned down.

"Miss Kane, that's my lap," Tom spoke as quietly and calmly as he could, although visibly uncomfortable with a confused girl on his knee.

I pulled myself up in a frenzy, stumbling backward in a daze. I had a weird feeling in my stomach that I'd never had with Tom before, and I was shaking. he clenched his jaw, visibly annoyed with me. Though I could tell he was trying his best to contain his composure and not lash out at me.

The awkward tension that built up between us became overwhelming. As I turned to face the rest of the classroom; everyone's eyes were glued to us.

now they will undoubtedly believe the rumors are true.

"You can sit now." he buried his head in a book, returning to his usual unbothered facade.

"Where's Abraxas? I haven't seen him all day." I changed the subject, still embarrassed from the prior events.

His book bent down a slight angle and he suddenly became intrigued.

If he were a dog, his ears would've perked up.

"Don't know." he swallowed thickly, returning to his book.

I narrowed my eyes, and there was a feeling in my stomach like something was wrong.