chapter forty-nine

"Your rescue operation seems to have worked up until now

"Your rescue operation seems to have worked up until now. But then again, it could go really downhill from now, right?" Hyuna laughed.

Jiyoung's eyes narrowed as she stared back at the girl, every inch of her usual cheery and upbeat attitude being replaced with disgust. And it was only fueled father when she noticed Donghyuck's face.

They each knew the boy genuinely liked Hyuna and having her turn around to quite literally stab them in the back wasn't easy on any of them.

"How are you going to fight back?" Hyuna asked, humored by the looks on their faces. "That IV cut off your blocking, remember?"

Yiren's eyes darkened, now realizing that she was the only one strong enough to fight back with her bending. Sooyoung no longer had her gun after one of the staff members beside Hyuna had taken it and she didn't have any water to bend.

The others stepped back as Yiren's arms formed a circle, fire erupting from her palms. They took that chance to run as fast as they could.

Yiren's usual flames would be red with orange and yellow tints but now, with rage and fury burning within her, the flames were white. It was pure wrath.

White flames were not common by any standards amongst non-prodigies but were achievable by powered fuel fire benders. Although they weren't as hot as blue flames, they were so strong they could cause temporary blindness.

Although it lasted for a few seconds, Yiren couldn't continuously produce them, leaving Hyuna to follow close behind, shooting her own balls of flame at the group.

She was quick while chasing after them, the only thing stopping her being the older girl's fire.

But she knew she was in for trouble when more staff turned the corner, trapping the others in a circle. By now, the medicine would be wearing off. And they knew it.

It felt like lions closing in on elephants. Hyuna and the staff being the lions, powerful beings that knew they were a force to be wrecked with. Yiren, Sooyoung, and the others were the elephants, strong yet still prey.

They could feel the medicine beginning to wear off, Jiyoung, Jeno, Donghyuck, and Chenle's eyes beginning to grow more white, their emotions beginning to get the best of them.

Before anyone could expect it, Jeno's arms rose, pulling up the concrete from under them and knocking Hyuna along with her staff onto the ground. Jiyoung took the chance to blow some of the staff away, leaving enough room for them to continue running.

Donghyuck used his chance to send flames back as they ran, swirls of red, green, blue, gray, black, and white all mixed within.

He was full of mixed emotions and he wasn't going to keep them bottled up.

Their journey to freedom didn't last long, Hyuna expanding her own arms to pull a wall up from the ground and block them within.

Jeno tried turning it but he was even more tired and weak than the others, his body beginning to break down in pain. Jaemin and Nayeon weren't going to be much help either, their heads itching with pain from running.