chapter twenty-five

Renjun

Renjun

hey

yo

sorry that was kinda weird
what's up

it wasn't weird but ok

i just wanted to know if u
wanted to go with me to
the arcade today

i feel like it's really nice to
cool off from work by
playing games and stuff

sure i can join

not the very very best at
arcade games tho

-

"You said you were bad at this!"

Sooyoung huffed, pressing down on the gas pedal as she tried steering the speeding car she watched on the screen.

Renjun smiled from beside her, still managing to keep focused as he played against the older girl. "I never said I was bad, I said I wasn't the best."

"Damn near the best, I'd say," Sooyoung muttered, quickly turning her steering wheel to make a sharp turn.

The two stayed quiet for a few seconds longer, the two focusing as they tried to win, hitting their cars against one another at any chance to make the other lag behind somehow.

"Damn it," Sooyoung swore under her breath, leaning against the chair in defeat while Renjun cheered from her side.

She glared from his side, only making him smile bigger. "Let's go play a sports game, Donghyuck said you suck at sports."

"I do not!" Renjun protested, following behind Sooyoung as she made her way to a new game. He looked up at the large screen, reading.

"Connect four, basketball version? How does that even work out?" He asked, sliding his card he'd received when they paid.

Sooyoung shrugged, sliding hers as well. They two watched as the screen explained for a second before releasing the basketballs.

"Red team, shoot!"

"Am I red team or you?"
"Renjun, shoot the ball."

Renjun laughed, grabbing a basketball and shooting it at one of the columns. He missed the first time, picked up another, and shot. He missed again.

Sooyoung tried not to laugh, mentally telling herself to thank Donghyuck for his earlier advice.

"Red team, hurry up!"
"Shut up you stupid machine."
"Renjun, stop being mean to the game."

Sooyoung sighed, watching Renjun throw his fifth ball and finally making it into the second slot. She began concentrating, picking up her own basketball.

She shot once, landing it all the way on the complete opposite side. Renjun groaned from beside her, unhappy with her success on the first try.

"You're an awesome fire bender but I would never suggest a career in basketball," Sooyoung joked from beside.

Renjun sent a playful glare at her, sending his third basketball. He quietly cheered, jumping up and down as he cheered with his fists.

"You know the point is to connect four, not scatter them throughout the board?" Sooyoung asked, pointing out the two slots between Renjun's throws.

Renjun sarcastically laughed, watching Sooyoung throw another ball. The game continued, Renjun missing his intended spots multiple times and causing for a mess up in both of their rhythms.

After five more minutes, the game was over with Sooyoung succeeding in getting first place.

"One more game, you choose."

Renjun nodded, looking around the arcade to find another game the two could play together. In the end, he settled on one of the claw games.

"I think we should win something to mark this wonderful momentous occasion," he smiled, swiping his card.

Sooyoung nodded, trying to contain her smile, going to stand next to the boy as she watched him move the claw machine over a stuffed animal.

Renjun bit his lip as he concentrated, hitting the red button to drop the claw. They watched anxiously as it dropped down, clasping against the foot of the white dog.

The two cheered watching the claw move, dropping the stuffed animal into the winner's slot. Renjun took it happily, handing it to Sooyoung.

"Merry Christmas, now get me one."

but when he loves me, i feel like i'm floating
when he calls me pretty, i feel like somebody
even when we face eventually to nothing
you will always be my favorite form of loving

━ cloud 9, beach bunny

😌

disclaimer: it's not actually christmas time in the story, 'twas a joke 💃🏽💃🏽

currently working on my next book and need to ask for anyone interested: would you prefer a long (50+ chapters) or short (30-40 chapters) book