I am damaged, far too damaged | XXV

Dear Heroes,
This is a warning for you.
Let their burned bodies be a message that your corrupt decisions led to the death of hundreds of innocent children trying to be the heroes you pretend to be.
You are responsible for this.
Signed,
Ishizaki Red

Goodbye.

___________

Turns out, it's surprisingly easy to steal all the ingredients for explosives. It's much harder to build them, but I managed it in just under twenty four hours.

I stayed in the park, pouring powders and chemicals into metal and plastic compartments like a psychopathic suicidal Dr. Frankenstein. Google knows exactly how to make very explosive things, and gives precise instructions on where to put the explosive materials and which wires set it off and disable it. The fact that google knows these things scares me.

I went home briefly to get my school backpack. I would need it to pull this off. According to UA records, I was just out sick for a few days and would be back to school tomorrow as usual. This allowed me to pull off my plan very easily.

I loaded the stuff into my backpack, throwing out all my school supplies. I wouldn't need them ever again. All I would have to do to set off the bomb was light it with a match or a lighter, both of which I had in the side pocket of my backpack. I would light it during lunch, when all the students were in the cafeteria. It would do the most damage that way. Maximum damage was what I needed to get the point across to the corrupt society of heroes.

I began to laugh again as I tested the lighter on some dried leaves to make sure it would light. I took one last trip to the convenience store to buy some fireworks, a last minute idea that would be both funny and disturbing.

Nothing was more symbolic than the most prestigious hero academy going up in flames with beautiful white-hot fireworks exploding over it, sailing into the blue sky. They would be nearly invisible in the sunlight, just like the pros these children would have grown up to be. Worthless, a stupid flash of unnecessary light before it fades into ashes.

The ashes of UA High School would be a warning to the world about what happens to the corrupt. And I would be the one to prove it.

_______

I left the backpack hidden beneath a bush and walked home. I ate a normal dinner with my moms and sister, knowing tomorrow would be the last day I was alive. It didn't bother me as much as I expected it would. I even got into an argument with Tyra about whether cauliflower was just ghost broccoli.

"Some cauliflower is purple!" Tyra frowned. "Ghosts aren't purple!"

"You've never seen a ghost, how do you know they're not purple?"

I made sure to hug all of my family members before going to bed. When the butterfly feeling erupted in my stomach, it took me a moment to realize I was more excited than nervous for the events going down tomorrow.

Dear Mom, Mother, and Tyra,

I would say I'm sorry, that you don't deserve this, but that would be a lie.

I'm not sorry. Well, at least not about this. You guys don't deserve this to happen to your child, but it needs to happen. I need to make a difference. I hope you guys can understand, but it's alright if you don't. I might be the only one who does.

I love you all, and goodbye,

Red

I wrote the note on a piece of doodled-on paper and taped it to my desk, not bothering with fancy stationery or an envelope. It wasn't worth it.

I slept soundly, not dreaming or waking up. In the morning, I made my bed, tidied my room, changed into my UA uniform, and walked downstairs to eat breakfast.

It was rice pudding with honey and brown sugar, something that was rarely made in our household. I ate quietly, sitting next to Tyra, who also ate without complaint.

I stood up and put my bowl in the sink, turning my head to smile and thank my parents for the meal.

"Are you sure you should go to school honey? I can call you in sick again. It's not good to go be with people if you're not ready. Your friend only passed away a few days ago," My mother said, putting her hand on my cheek with a gentle gesture. She said 'passed away' almost whispering, like it was a crime to say that someone had died.

"I'm okay Mother, I should go now or I'll be late," I said with a small smile. "I love you guys, see you after school!"

I patted Tyra on the head and waved to my moms as I left the house. I walked to the park, only a five minute detour at the most. I picked up my backpack from the bush and brushed off the leaves.

_______

I walked through the front gate of UA High School, scanning my student ID on the main building door to get in. I walked fairly quickly to classroom 1-A, not stopping to talk to anybody. I smiled at Shinso in the hallway and nodded my head at Mei Hatsume outside of the door as she tried to convince Iida to wear some sort of weird metal headgear.

"I shall wear no such thing, it is against the rules to wear any sort of enhancing gear in class, even if it is turned off." Iida said haughtily, hand-chopping with much enthusiasm. 

I smiled a bit at this absentmindedly, feeling my face take on a rosy hue as I thought joyfully about blowing this whole school up. 

I sat down at my desk near the window, still grinning from ear to ear.

I ignored the morning classes entirely, getting yelled at my multiple teachers and Iida. I waited in anticipation for lunch to come. When it finally did, I got up from my seat as fast as I could, slinging my backpack over my shoulder and hurrying out the door.

"Why are you in such a rush, extra?" Bakugo howled at me down the hallway as I stepped on his toes while dashing past.

"I heard the food today is going to be bomb, I can't wait!" I shouted back, unable to resist a slightly disturbing joke. 

As I headed towards the cafeteria for the last time, the bombs and fireworks in my backpack ready to be lit, a crooked grin grew on my face.

"If I can't be a hero," I thought, "I may as well be a villain."

And as my story came to a close, I realized I'd been the villain all along.