Chapter 14: Reminiscing (The Last Chapter)

4/12/21, 4/14/21, 4/18/21, 4/19/21

Word Count: 584

"You wanted to meet me, didn't you, Levi?! Can't say I wanted to do the same!"

Half of Zeke's body was growing out of one of Eren's bones.

"What?" You whispered before wailing, "ZEKE?!"

Zeke turned his head in the direction that your voice came from. Realizing who it was, he grinned.

You flew over to him and landed on another bone that sat across from him.

"Y/N! I woke up everyone that was asleep in Paths! I'm the reason the Titans helped you! Aren't you proud of me? I helped you guys!"

He sounded so happy.

"Zeke, what are you even talking about?" Your voice began to falter as your eyes welled up.

"Oh, Y/N, don't cry." He said softly, trying to comfort you.

"Zeke, I-"

You were cut off when a flash of forest green flew over your head. Next thing you knew, Zeke's decapitated head was flying through the air.

You gasped loudly.

...

"How do I look?"

"Like you always do."

"What do you mean?"

Levi sighed and rolled his eyes before begrudgingly saying, "You always look lovely no matter what you're wearing."

"Aw, Levi," you said with a smile before continuing, "But still, I feel like royalty wearing such fancy clothes. We used to be enemies but now we're wearing each other's clothes. I just can't wrap my head around that."

"Go figure." Levi said, nonchalantly.

"Okay, we should get going. Falco and Gabi are waiting for us. And once we meet up, they can push you while I go get us ice cream!" You said, excitement clear in your voice.

"Whatever." Levi said with a slight chuckle, revealing a small smile before turning his attention back to the newspaper he was previously reading.

You still think about Zeke from time to time.

Everytime you sit in front of a fire, you're always reminded of him.

And everytime you wonder what would've happened if you had reciprocated his feelings. What if you had begged him to run away with you? Somewhere far away in a small cabin in the woods where the two of you would live the rest of your lives out peacefully.

Maybe in another life.

Everytime you find yourself in a wooded area, you remember the good memories and bad memories. The good memories are stronger than the bad ones oddly enough.

Nostalgia overuns your mind and you feel strangely warm inside. You remember all the times you and Zeke would sit around a campfire. When you two would talk for hours, laughing at each other's jokes and getting to know each other better.

But now...

He's just a fading memory.

...

I sat down at the roof's edge before taking out my lunch, which was a bit different from my usual meal for midday.

I recently met this kid named Paskal. He used to make rations for the soldiers back when Titans still roamed the Earth. He made one for me as a gift.

Today, I decided to finally eat it as I was feeling a little reminiscent.

I tore the wrapper off.

Feeling ambivalent, I hesitantly took a bite out of it.

The texture of the crumbly, dry bread made its way to my taste buds.

"I hate it."

Tears welled from deep inside. I couldn't hold it in any longer. Tears flowed down my face quickly. A quiet sob escaped me.

The sobs soon became too overwhelming, I could hardly bring my jaw to chew the rest of my food.

"I love it."

END