Chapter 10: The Wings of Freedom

Word Count: 394

A/N: oh god this is even shorter than the last one, gomen-ne. also, the first thing zeke says this chapter is def a stolen lyric from a lofi song. Credit goes to a l e x - lord you're okay. Also also art is by @ArtofNeight on twitter

You awoke in the back of a moving wagon with two Survey Corps soldiers up front. You looked down and saw the Wings of Freedom and noticed that your cape was covering you like a blanket. You tried sitting up but a throbbing headache overcame you. You groaned and held your head.

"Oh, thank God. Lord, you're okay." You heard a familiar voice. Your eyes looked up to where the voice came from. Zeke was sitting opposite of you, his face painted with relief.

You quickly sat up, your mind reeling. You nearly forgot your headache, the dull pain serving as a sort of painful white noise.

"W-Wha...?"

Zeke took your face into his hands, holding you so gently as if you were sacred, fragile china. He held you close to his face, your noses almost touching.

"How are you...?" Your question trailed off.

You grabbed him by the shoulders and shoved him away.

"How the fuck are you still alive?! So you get to live and Levi doesn't?! That isn't fair! What kind of bullshi- Ack!"

You grabbed your head in pain, your headache coming back to you in full force.

"I know it isn't fair, but at least you're alive," Zeke wrapped his arms around you, engulfing you in a warm embrace, "It's okay, you're okay."

You hesitantly lowered your head onto his chest. Then it hit you. You're never going to see Levi again. Tears started coursing down your cheeks.

Zeke took ahold of your face once again, holding your chin in-between his thumb and forefinger. He turned your head so you could look him in the eyes.

Zeke hated seeing you in this state, so he tried to make you feel better.

He slowly moved his lips closer to yours until they finally touched. He pressed his lips against yours so softly, you almost couldn't feel them. He tried moving his lips in sync with yours but yours didn't move at all.

Zeke didn't care in the slightest, though. As long as he was kissing you, sharing this moment with you.

He placed his hands on both sides of your cheeks as he pulled away.

"I... love you." He whispered to you.

You looked away from him and laid your head back down on his chest. Tears continued streaming down your face as Zeke hugged you even tighter.

END - 1/19/21, 1/20/21