Chapter 5: A Vast Wilderness

Word Count: 421

You rode on your horse alongside the wagon that was occupied by Zeke. He read a book as you looked ahead, thinking of how you were going to start your apology.

You looked at him, opening and closing your mouth like a fish as you hesitated.

Finally, you worked up the courage.

"Hey, Mr. Yeager?"

He looked up from his book before he looked at you with an expression that told you to continue.

"Um, I'm sorry for what happened back at my office. I don't really understand why that happened, that usually never happens to me. I'm just- I'm sorry. You didn't have to see that." You finished, feeling a bit awkward as you looked down at your hands holding the reins.

He gave you a warm smile before he said, "You don't need to apologise, I'm the one that should be apologising. All things considered, you had every right to do that. That vase really should've hit my head," he chuckled, "But I'm sorry for everything I've put you through. I put you in danger and killed your friends."

"It's okay, I accept your apology. It's all in the past. Besides, from what I've heard, it sounds like you didn't really have a choice."

"I kind of didn't really." He laughed nervously.

"Well, that's understandable." You smiled at him.

That was the end of your conversation before Zeke continued reading his book.

Levi, who was behind you, ended up riding next to you.

"What're you doing forgiving him? After what he's done, I sure as hell wouldn't forgive him." Levi said with an eye roll.

"Levi, he's right over there, you know." You said, tilting your head in Zeke's direction.

"Tch, you think I give a shit?"

You finally arrived at the Titan Forest.

"My hotel..." Zeke started, "This?"

Levi replied with "Any complaints? I'd say there's no more fitting a place. A forest of giants trees that grow to be as much as 262 feet tall. It won't be easy to get out on your own. No handy rocks, either. So you won't be tossing anything around or taking any excursions."

"Looks like a fun spot for lots of vertical maneuvering, too."

Zeke looked around a bit more before continuing, "But... This is yet another unique place in this world. What do you say, Captain Levi? I'd like to show Gabi and Falco this vast wilderness as well."

"So you're worried about those brats? Whether or not they get to see this vast wilderness is up to you."

END - 12/29/20, 12/30/20