Family Night/Serious Talk

Desire

I sat indian style on the white wall sectional we had in the theater. I had a plate with two slices of pizza. I watched my husband and son act goofy from the scenes of Happy Feet. August decided on this movie for the sakes of Day. I grabbed my phone and recorded them as they jumped around the room. I was so enjoying this moment.

Day was tickled to death and so was August.

"Get it boo." I teased.

August winked at me and picked Day up and sat down beside me. Day reached over in my plate and picked a piece of chicken off my pizza.

"Lil boy. Whatchu' you doing?" I asked as I pinched his cheek. He looked at me and stuffed the chicken in his mouth.

"That's a shame that he loves chicken just like you and he steals food off ya plate like you will."

"Hell at least he got it honest."

"True he does. Here put this plate on the table for me."

He sat Day on the sofa and put the plate on the table. He placed day in my lap and stretched out on the sofa. He motioned for me to come and lay my in-between his legs. I managed to scoot there with Day still in my lap. It was a lil chore for me, but I did it. I rested my head against his chest as he wrapped his arms around me, careful of my ribs. Day looked back at us and smiled nodding his head. This lil boy was just so observant and smart.

He grabbed my phone and handed it to me so that I could unlock it. I did and gave it back to him. He loved to just play with it, like any one year old would. The movie had just went off and we sat there in silence. It was a peaceful silence.

"Baybeh you feel okay?" He asked as he rubbed up and down my arms.

"Yes just a lil pain, but I'm good tho."

"I can get your pain meds."

"I will take one before bed. I just wanna enjoy the moment."

"Okay."

"August did you every think that you would marry and have a family?"

"Honestly, I did, but I just didn't think that it would have happened so soon in my life. Don't get a nigga wrong or nothin cause I'm very much happy and glad that I met you. I don't think no one else could have put up wit me tha' way you have. You are a strong woman and I admire yo strength." He bent down and kissed my cheek.

"What about you?"

"Well, considering what all I went through, I didn't think that I would get married or have a family. There is something that I never told you, but since we are having this deep convo I guess now is the time." I sighed and took a deep breath. "I was dating this guy back in college by the name of Jacoby. We were the lil hot commodity and everybody had something to say about our relationship because I was the lil nerd and he was the jock. Anyway I was a virgin and I wanted to wait until I was ready to have sex, but Jacoby didn't seem to understand that." I looked down and Day had knocked out that fast on my thigh. I ran my hand across his curls and smiled.

"Long story short he had sex with my roomate on my bed. I walked in and caught them. He had the audacity to say it was my fault because I wasn't fulfilling his sexual needs. After that I shut down until I graduated and came back home to Atlanta. And from there you already know what happened."

I noticed that August was quiet and I turned my head and looked at him. He was clenching his jaw and seemed to be in deep thought.

"August what's wrong?"

August

Something went all through me because I to had hurt her by doing that cheating shit. At this moment I realized that I didn't deserve her. I thought about how really stupid I was to cause that rift in our marriage. That's why I thank God every day for allowing me the chance to show my wife how much I love, cherish and respect her.