Chapter-16: Trapped?

I was sipping the coffee sitting in my office cabin thinking about my children, Manik and Nandni. I hope this small vacation away from the chaos would bring them closer. This was the game I could never afford to lose, not because Nyonika Malhotra is a winner but I didn't have an alternative. 

I was lost in my world when Mr. Patel, my PA walked in and knocked. I looked up and signaled him to enter. 

"Good evening Ma'am."

"Good evening, Mr. Patel."

"I know you hate to talk about anything but business still I can't stop myself to ask about the stress which is visible on your face." I could see the genuine concern in his eyes.

"Mr. Patel, you never need to be too formal with me. You have been loyal to Malhotra Industries that you worked for us even when we were at losses after the demise of Raj. You have given all your life at Malhotra's, supported Manik's dad as his PA and now you have been supporting me through every thick and thin so go on and ask anything."

This old man was everything as a boss you could ever ask for. Honest, intelligent, friendly support, and a great source of strength. He was not just an employee at Malhotra's but an asset to us.

He looked at me with respect in his eyes, "Nyonika Ma'am, you never need to mention all this. Malhotra's have given me everything that I could ever ask for. You guys not only took care of my needs but all the expenses of my children's studies abroad. I could never ask for more."

"You deserve every bit of it, Mr. Patel."

I could see his moist eyes. "Mr Malhotra would be so proud of you. You never let anyone feel his absence." I could sense a heavy lump on his throat.

I left a dry chuckle, "I wish, it could be the same for my kids."

"Of course, it is! You are doing so much for them." He replied immediately. 

I looked up at him, "What if they think that I trapped them? Or what if Nandini would feel that I have been so unfair towards her?"

I could feel the guilt somewhere hiding deep in my heart.

Mr. Patel instantly understood my dilemma, "No, ma'am. You are a mother and this is the best decision for everyone." 

He tried his best to console me and I didn't want to make him worried. He was like a father figure for Raj and me.

"I hope so." I smiled and instantly asked the question "Did you prepare the transfer papers for the company shares as per the condition in Raj's will?"

"Yes, I did as soon as the wedding happened. Just a few more legal assistance is needed and I will mail you in the next few days!" He assured me and let out a sigh of relief as the most important work was finally done.

"Cool! Thank you so much, Mr. Patel. Without you, I couldn't have done all this." I genuinely appreciate his efforts.

___________________________

Our flight landed in Udaipur and as soon as we walked out from the Maharana Pratap Airport, we were greeted by the paparazzi. I was surrounded by fans and admirers while guards were helping us with the exit. The craze for my new album was all over the place and everybody was really excited about it. I could see the happiness on Nandini's face as well. Even though our journey in flight was really awkward and we kept avoiding each other but she could never wish anything bad about her loved ones no matter how angry she is with me and that's the most special thing about her which I loved.

It was an approximately 30 minutes ride to the Lake Pichola Hotel and as soon as we reached there we had to take a five minutes boat ride to reach the hotel entrance. The view was mesmerizing. My eyes were stuck on Nandini's face which was beaming with happiness. She loved the historical places and the stories around them. I took a deep breath and there was something in the air as if it was taking out all my stress and worries and calming down my senses.