Chapter-13: My Wife

I was sitting in a corner of the balcony pouring out my emotions, the guilt, the anger, the disappointments and the betrayal in the form of tears. Today was the beginning of a new journey which didn't turn out the way I imagined  or read about in my favorite stories. Life was indeed not a fairytale which I learned the hard way around. 

I didn't have any idea why I did marry Manik in the first place. That guy was always a bad news I was aware about yet this heart had his own wishes.

He was indeed attractive but we never really thought about each other with that emotion but fate had some other plans. I wish it hadn't been so merciless towards but then I remember how I was the unlucky one from always. It wasn't my first time at all. Why was I even surprised?

-----------------

I was laying on my bed after a long session of hot shower I needed to calm my senses. Nandini still had the power to affect every cell of my body. I could never fathom why she always had so much of an effect on me. 

Was it just a friendship or something else like Cabir used to say?

"Manik, admit it bro! You really like her!"

"Ofcourse, Cabir! But not in that way, you know!"

"One day you will realize it! Just wait and watch."

I and Cabir were really good friends until that famous fight of school we had. Sometimes I do really miss him and I wonder if he also misses me? 

Ah! Why would he? He hates me after that fiasco that happened some twelve years back. After that, for him, I was his arch nemesis. A fade chuckle escaped my mouth. That day I lost Cabir who was like a brother to me and after that it was only Nandini who left in my life in the name of friends. She was there for me. Always! And now I lost her as well. Irony! No?

It was the main reason I never wanted to drag her in this marriage fiasco. I knew this fire of marriage would ruin our lives and indeed had the courage to burn our friendship as well. 

I can still remember how Nandini confessed in front of Soha that she was also doing it for the status of the Malhotra daughter-in-law. No matter how many times I replay this scene in my head, this blood pumping machine still discards every thought of it.

I do not have any idea why I actually forced Nandini into this marriage. 

Was I angry that she slapped me just for Aryaman? Or was I jealous that she loved him? He was her ideal choice even when I was her childhood bestie. What was that emotion I felt then?

Or was I actually afraid to spend the rest of my life with someone other than her?

Many questions were roaming in my head only to lead a way towards finding answers but unable to. I was incapable of comprehending my own emotions. And all this frustration was coming out on no one but her! Nandini! 

Although I never imagined her as a girl who I want in my life and even though being so different from all the girls I have dated yet she was somehow still very close to the idea of the life partner I always wanted. 

As soon as this thought crossed my mind. A light blush crept on my cheeks. 

Manik Malhotra blushing is not the good news at all. 

My brain immediately warned me.

I stood up from the bed and tried to peek at the balcony. It was almost two hours since we had that heated argument and she walked away. 

Was she planning to stay there all night?

Today was a windy day and I was afraid that she would catch a cold. 

I rolled my eyes at her stubbornness that I was completely aware about. I walked closer to the balcony only to find her sleeping all balled up in a corner. She was shivering yet she didn't come back inside the room. 

"Sometimes she really behaves like a kid."

I again rolled my eyes and walked closer to her. My heart was sinking to see dried tears in her eyes. 

"It means she was crying here."

I wanted to forget everything and hug my best friend tightly. I was hating myself for being the reason for her condition. My brain was instructing me to go back and sleep because this is exactly what I wanted. 

I wanted to make her suffer but my heart knew no matter what she didn't deserve it. Avoiding the fight between the duo, I decided to keep the grudges away for a while. I can't leave a girl to sleep on the balcony just like that. This is not how Malhotra men are. Especially not when the girl is your best friend or I should rather say, MY WIFE.

Calling her my wife sent chills in my body. Isn't it weird how the feelings change just like that? How a complete new emotion creeps inside you just when the relationship changes? From being best friends we were now a couple I never thought about.

I picked her up in bridal style and went inside the room to tuck her in bed. 

"Gosh! It was so chilly outside."

I wonder how she managed to stay there for fucking two hours. Her body was numb from the cold. I turned the heater of my room on for a while to increase the temperature and removed her heavy jewelleries. Her face looked so pale and eyes swollen. I couldn't stop myself from caressing her head. At this moment, I was so angry at myself. 

I didn't know why I was going through a turmoil of emotions. I had no idea what was right or what wasn't but I knew one thing for sure, I just couldn't do it anymore. No matter what my heart can nerve allow me to punish her. 

I quickly got up from the bed and went towards the couch.

"Ah! So she was right! I was really destined to sleep on this."

The way I behaved with her a few hours back replayed in my head and my eyes were bloodshot red. I punched the nearby wall which in turn replied back with a pain I was really going to regret later.

"If someone could reach into my chest and tear out my heart and turn it into a living, breathing person, It would always be you."

Vote, Comment & Share!

Love, M.