Chapter Seven

Mind Planet
All Rights Reserved
© 2021 May Dahlia.

Word Count: 1580 words

~•~•~•~

    Naomi was buying her time and she was doing it wisely. She knew she had enough information to ruin the government and cause a civilian uprising or even a civil war but Naomi wasn't interested in that. She didn't care enough to set things right amongst the people and if she was being totally honest, she didn't think they deserved to get back at the government for all the cruel things they had done.

    Instead, what Naomi cared about was getting payback for the murder of her parents. She didn't know for sure if her parents were murdered but what she was sure of was that there were a hundred different ways that day could have gone well for her family if the military had been doing their job right. But the thing was, they hadn't. They couldn't do their job and their carelessness had resulted in the loss of lives of countless people, two of which her world revolved around at the time.

    She didn't care that they had just been her adopted parents; as so many who didn't live to tell their story had loosely called them, because they had been all she had. She didn't want to know about her real parents because she didn't want to be the girl who just went digging up a past to cause herself more pain. Instead, she focused on avenging her parents' death which she saw as a murder case and nothing else.

    That was the only thought on her mind as the hidden door she had noticed moments before was pried open by none other than Tiana who wore a weary expression on her face. It hadn't taken her long to find the door after learning all about the black site where the military dealt with criminals and violated all their civil rights. She had no doubts they would do the same to her when they got the chance but she had sworn to herself she would be dead or long gone before she allowed herself to be taken advantage of ever again.

    She basically knew everything about the place, not that she was going to go spilling that to anyone and risking all her chances of escaping from the horrors that came after the room she had been given the relief of staying in before the real torture began. She intended on getting as many unspoken confirmations from the woman who had drawn up a chair in front of her as she could then she would be long gone.

    "You're a smart girl, I have to give you that. How about we get down to business so none of us have to waste each other's time. You've never been caught before, no matter how many times you intentionally allowed yourself to be so close, you always got away and let me in on something that you most likely already know." Tiana paused as her voice dropped to a low whisper and she leaned closer so Naomi could feel her breath fanning her cheeks.

    Naomi wasn't sure what the wan had planned but she was keeping her cool and keeping her lips sealed and her face a plain mask until she found an opening she could widen. She didn't respond and Tiana tool it as her cue to continue. "That really got a rise out of me." Then she drew back and smiled. "You're a truly intriguing character Naomi and it's a surprise you've managed to keep yourself hidden for so long. And if I'm being completely honest, I would have recruited you into the army's special forces if I had discovered your potential under different circumstances."

    Naomi wasn't sure the woman was aware of what she was doing but she soon found her resolve to remain unbothered weakening. The woman's words, although seemingly innocent had stirred something in her that she had buried too long ago to resurface at that moment. She had wanted to join the navy at the early stages of her life, just before the world fucked over and became one where she could only survive by the motto of 'kill or be killed.' As she grew older and she learned what exercises recruits were made to undergo to join the army, she became disgusted at herself for ever considering it. They did unimaginable things and eventually, some dropped out of the program, not being to stomach it anymore. Such people didn't live long, being killed in so-called gas attacks or mass shootings.     

    It was too much to think about all the cruel things that went on behind the four walls built to house those whose job was to defend the nation but one thing Naomi was sure of was the fact that she would never have anything to do them even if it meant losing everything she had ever worked for.

    She didn't let her displeasure show, sucking it up and letting her mind come up with creative ways to keep the conversation flowing while at the same time extracting as much information from the woman as she could within the period of time they would be together. "I can imagine." she started, leaning closer in a similar manner to what the woman had done before her. "Getting a rise out of the great Tiana? Now that is something I find hard to believe." She said in a tone that was far from appropriate.  

    Naomi had never been attracted to women, much less women who were over ten years older than she was, but at the time, flirting seemed like the most humorous way to continue the conversation.

    Tiana played along with a sultry smile. "Well, believe it or not, it happened. Now it's your turn, tell me a secret of yours." She said openly. She didn't care that she was making her plans too obvious when she was having so much fun already.

    "Ooh, so we're playing like the twenty questions game. Okay, umm. Let me see, oh yeah. The reason why my DNA doesn't exist on any database is because-" Naomi's voice reduced by an octave as she whispered the words into Tiana's ears. "I found a way around the system and it was so easy, I'm surprised at how flawed a system that supports billions of people is. I just soaked the chip in vanilla extract and by the time I inserted it back, it didn't have a signal anymore." She finished with a vague expression that caused Tiana to wonder if she had made up her answer or if her words were true. She couldn't imagine it being true, that a substance as simple as vanilla could be so powerful to erase a piece of technology as advanced as the implant that had been mandated for all inhabitants of the planet Nigale.

    "You shouldn't be surprised if I don't believe you hon because that sounds ridiculous. You gave me an answer nonetheless so ask me whatever you wish to know." Tiana said as she leaned back, still pondering over the girl's words. Tiana had expected Naomi to ask something cheeky and because it was an open game, try to manipulate her into revealing information she could use against her later but what she got had her stomped to the point that she could only stare at the younger girl without a single clue how to respond.

    "Did you join the military for an agenda against the government for what happened to you or do you genuinely think that by taking orders from people just like them, you'll be able to do something better for people going through what you went through?" Naomi's question was personal and that was why she knew it would be easy for the woman to know just who 'them' was. She genuinely wanted to know what had made Tiana go into the military after everything she had faced and although it did make sense for her to want to protect others like her, there were still blank spaces that needed to be filled.

    She could have joined support organizations, created her own empire, and really made a name for herself and helped a lot of kids but instead, she chose to struggle with following orders from douchebags just like the scum that raised her. Naomi didn't understand it and she had told herself that if one day she got the chance to find out, she would.

    The Hatima wasn't on her side with HER plan because just as it seemed like the woman had found an answer worth sharing, the door burst open, and in walked a frantic looking man who looked nothing like what she had expected from someone in a military facility.

~>~>~>~

Some Terms Used And Their Definition:-

Hatima:- This can simply be translated to the 'Fates' as used in some historic fictional books or mythologies but here it is much more than just a myth or idea because Nigaleans believe in it as much werewolves believe in their Goddess and as much as people believe in luck. For the native people of Nigale, Hatima encompasses all on which they base their beliefs. It is a complex thing but it is quite like how all Christians strive to be christ-like and follow his teachings but Hatima has a very different back story than Christ so don't mix them up because the aforementioned are only share minimal similarities to what I'm trying to depict.

Let me know if I need to explain further or if this is enough for this part of the story.

~•~•~•~